Options

I know this is going to sound like a newb question.....

TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
I can no longer use the useradd command on my CentOS box to add users usermod doesnt work either... only command that works is users.

I am completely lost.

Yes, I am logged in as root.

Yes, I have tried adduser just incase.

stumped... completely stumped.

Comments

• Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    Thats odd that looks right to me as well... I even doubled check since I haven't used CentOS in awhile..
    http://www.centos.org/docs/4/html/rhel-sag-en-4/s1-users-cmd-line.html

Are you possibly under a different shell that doesn't support that command syntax?
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    adduser?
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Maybe your PATH variable is messed up. Are you actually logged in as root or did you su? If you just su'd you wouldn't have the PATH variable of the root user, so you'd be missing things like /sbin. You'd either need to log in as root, do a "su -", or just run the full path to the command you're trying to execute. Try a "which <command>" to get the full path to the command you're trying to use.
  • Options
    heh, thanks Dynamik. That was it. I always ssh in using a reg account and then su... I forgot to do ./adduser I am a bone head. I was in a rush trying to get it done right before I left work because a friend wanted ssh access.

Thanks again.
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Dynamik solves his first linux issue! Woohoo! First steps towards RHCE certification -- SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    undomiel wrote:
    Dynamik solves his first linux issue! Woohoo! First steps towards RHCE certification -- SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!
    clap.gif
  • Options
    Can always count on Dynamik to come through! :)
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    astorrs wrote:
    undomiel wrote:
    clap.gif

+1 :D
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    undomiel wrote:

It's funny that I'm not the only one that noticed that. I'm not sure how I feel about everyone being surprised that I got something right though icon_confused.gif

Glad you got it worked out :D