Vista related fun

RikkuRikku Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey There,

I am sure one of you guys have seen this issue before and has a resolution.

My wifes Vista Ultimate laptop has an windows update issue; by where it will fail to install any windows updates. While before it was working just fine.

I get error code 80070005 or 779 upon attempting to download or install any updates (regardless of selection).

It seems that the issue appears to revolve around the user(s) that need administrative access to the mapisvc.inf file which Vista prevents any access to any critical system files with it's Windows Integrity Control (or previously known as "Manditory Integrity Controls"). Supposedly you can use ICACLS command to set the integrity level from "H" (high) to "L" (low) to allow you to modify NTFS permissions to allow the change/modify permission to the account you wish to have access to install updates on the system. (The system account is the only account that has full access to the file.) I have tried the ICACLS (File) /setintegritylevel "L" command, but it still denies me access. (I also run command as adminstrator). I find it ironic that supposedly Microsoft abandoned support for the MIC/WIC access controls and there is not much out there in the way of support.

For now, I am reading an article/tool page by Mark Minasi that suggest may add some additional administration functionality to the Vista integrity access controls. I have been a fan of Mr. Minasi for some time; he simplifies Microsoft technology pretty darn well.

http://www.minasi.com/vista/chml.htm

Thanks guys in advance for any input. I apologize if this Vista issue is posted somewhere else: I did a search here first, but came up with nadda.

-Rikku

Comments

• RikkuRikku Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    {Update}

Hey There,

Well, I tried the following steps and still no success. I emailed mark minasi and hopefully he will have other suggestions to try.

I referenced the page http://www.minasi.com/vista/chml.htm CHML page to fix a Vista update issue.

Here is what I have attempted and the steps I executed:

Attempting to lower windows integrity level of mapisvc.inf in c:windows\system32 from high to low.

I turned of the User Access Control.

I added the Administrator account access to modify file labels in the local security policy.

I downloaded the CHML.exe and the PSTOOLS (for use of PSEXEC.exe) to add the functionality of executing the CHML process under the system account.

I execute the following command and receive:

C:\windows\system32\psexec –s chml mapisvc.inf –i:l

“Error modifying mandatory integrity level. Error code:5. The error text was:Access is denied. chml exited on DELL-M1330 with error code 5.

Well, if anyone has any other ideas or suggestions, please let me know. icon_sad.gif

Thanks in advance.

-Rikku
    *Ping*

Anyone? Anyone? Beauller......Beauller?

-Rikku
    Finally able to fix issue by resetting permissions through subinacl tool along with reset.cmd text from this page. http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2006/09/04/739820.aspx Worked fine to fix my VISTA update issues. After tool ACL entry fix, all updates were clearly shown, downloaded and installed without having to "reinstall Vista."

-Rikku
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Glad you got it figured out and thanks for coming back and posting what the fix was (so many people forget to do that). icon_thumright.gif