Options

MCSA or Server +

noel123ienoel123ie Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi there

I was wondering am I better just doing the mcsa or a mix.

Maybe do a+ and net+ which will count as an mcp.

I could do net+ and ser+ in local college and then the a+ in my own time.

I would then have one mcp(a+ and net+) and server+

Or I was wondering am I better just doing a+/net+( 1 mcp) and then keeping on mcsa route

This is whats covered in server+

Operating System Fundamentals
Windows 2000 and Network Operating Systems
Windows 2003
VMWare
Network Components and Security
TCP/IP Networking
Linux Installation and Administration
System Administration
TroubleShooting

Some exposure to linux etc

Thanks

Noel

Comments

• Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    N+ and Server+ count as an elective towards the MCSA (though not MCSE). Security+ counts as an elective towards the MCSE as well as MCSA. What are you aiming for and what is your current background? A+/N+ would give you a good boost toward an entry level job if you aren't in IT already. Security+ gives you some background for the 291 though and is useful for the MCSE core exams as well. I am not particularly familiar with the Server+ so I can't really advise on that one but based off what I am familiar with I would say if you're just wanting an MCSA then A+/N+ would be best and also would be best if you're looking for an entry level IT job while working on the MCSA. Security+ would be best though if you already have an IT job and you have plans upon finishing out the MCSE.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    Hi

I work in 1st level support in a call centre and have a diploma in IT support so have a good grounding in networks etc

Im thinking of doing an MCSA as I think this looks very good in a CV and would have covered alot of A+/Net+ on diploma

Thanks for reply
    Noel
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Actually, the MCSA isn't nearly as well known or respected as the MCSE. I'd encourage you to go all the way.
  • Options
    Hi there

I also went to local college and saw a presentation on CCNA

I was very impressed with the lecturer and also I would have covered some of this on my diploma course

I also see CCNA on alot of job ads

Any help would be great
    Noel
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The CCNA is also well respected. However, it's completely different subject matter, so you should do some research between the two and see what interests you. You can do both too ;)
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I firmly believe you should at least do the CCENT or CCNA before starting on the Microsoft track. They hardly touch in on concepts like subnetting/supernetting/gateways yet you very heaviily on it. Cisco on the hand will hammer those concept in to no end.

+ real world you will be mixing Cisco and Microsoft every day of the week.

At this point I recommend....

CCENT >> CCNA >> MCP >> MCSA >> MCSE >> SuperNinja

Use Microsoft stuff as your electives. MCSA/MCSEs are assumed to have knowledge of things like Sharepoint Server, Exchange server or even SQL Server.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    Hi there

Thanks for all the info guys

Spoke to guy in college who give CCNA- this is a government college so this guy makes nothing from this

He also had 62 people for 38 places so no reason for him to push me towards course.

I asked him whether i would have knowledge required to complete course and he said yes as part of diploma.

So i decided to go with this- in the meantime I have 1 year to get a job on helpdesk etc so I will not be someone ccna certified with no practical experience.

Thanks
    Noel
  • Options
    Hi there

Im now reconsidering due to advise I recieved on here

Thanks folks great guidance on here

What would you think of this

MCITP: Enterprise Administrator

Cheers
    Noel