Anyone here planning on studying for a non-IT degree?

AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 509 ■■■■□□□□□□
Just wondering if anyone here works in IT but will be going to college for a non-IT related degree?

Myself, I was studying Network Security at a local tech school (Heald College) and I really felt like I learned nothing and was wasting my money so I dropped out to go back to community college. I want a four year degree which I wouldn't get from a tech school so I figured I'll go study for an AS in IT support at community college and then transfer to a four year. Right now I'm heavily leaning towards a BS in Accounting to make good money but then I'm thinking a BS in Mechanical Engineering 'cause that stuff is cool. If I graduate and find I still like IT then oh well I'll stick with IT. What about you guys?

EDIT:
I'd also like people who have already completed college and have non-IT degrees to chime in.

Comments

• undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    I was going for an art degree before I decided to move out to Arizona to marry my wife. I'll eventually go back and finish it and then go on for my MFA once we have all of the debt eliminated. For me IT is only a temporary stop for money and survival until I can do what I really want to do which is teach art.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'm doing psychology. I'll never use it, just for fun. I can teach the IT stuff to myself, so it seemed like a waste to spend the money on a generic IT degree.
  • learningtofly22learningtofly22 Member Posts: 159
    I'm finishing my Bachelor's in Business Admin in a few months, and then will move on to an MBA. Looking at the current trend of CEOs wanting CIO/CTOs to have more of a business background, I'm glad I'm taking that path.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I was going to start an IT degree, but the more I think about it the less I want an IT degree. Its pretty much for the same reasons dynamik stated. I can't see myself starting an IT degree at this point in my career. I would hate to suffer through the entry level stuff again.

I think I may go for an electrical engineering degree!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • TryPingingTheServerTryPingingTheServer Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Did a computer science degree but if I could rewind 5 years I would have seriously considered a business degree...then maybe toy around with the idea of law school.
    "His GPA is a solid 2.0. Right in that meaty part of the curve - not showing off, not falling behind."