Options

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1

JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,034 Admin
For sysadmins that have dared to upgrade their machines past the .NET 2.0 Framework, the .NET 3.5 Service Pack 1 is now available.

Let the pigeons loose!!

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yea, I had to install that in order to get SQL Server Express 2008 to work. It kept complaining that I didn't have .NET 2.0 SP2 installed (there's no such thing, only SP1).
  • Options
    There is a .NET Compact Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2 for mobile devices, but not an SP2 release for the standard distribution of .NET 2.0. MS never bothered to roll all the post-SP1 .NET 2.0 updates into an SP2.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yea, and that confused me even more icon_lol.gif

It was just an incorrect error message.

I'm not a developer, so I don't keep up with them nearly as much as you do. I typically only install them as needed.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Already? 3.5 just came out!

I've been putting 3.5 on all my machines because the installer contains the installers for every prior .net framework for both x86 and x64 including service packs - a big time saver when you need 2.0 and 3.0.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    techimastertechimaster Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Theres no harm in putting the latest version of the .net framework on your machines. All .net applications specifically target the version of the framework they need. Each subsequent version simply adds to the previous framework. Thank god for .net, who can with stand the COM pain any longer!! icon_twisted.gif
  • Options
    blargoe wrote:
    Already? 3.5 just came out!
    If just to you is nine months ago then, yes, .NET 3.5 and VS.NET 2008 just came out. ;)
    Theres no harm in putting the latest version of the .net framework on your machines.
    Please tell that to some of my customers who will not update their servers from .NET 2.0 because they don't want toooo!!!! icon_cry.gif
    Thank god for .net, who can with stand the COM pain any longer!!
    I hate to burst your bubble, but much of the .NET Framework is just a thin shim over the existing Windows COM objects (a Microsoft perestroika of sorts). I write C# apps, but I suffer with the problems of the underlying COM objects almost on a daily basis.