Question about network statement in EIGRP

kadshahkadshah Member Posts: 388 ■■■□□□□□□□
In the ultimate CCNA study package under the EIGRP section Brain says that EIGRP uses wildmask
in their network statements NOT subnet masks. I've tried using a subnet mask and it worked fine.
Did he mean by using a wildcard you can be more specific with your network statement?

Comments

• gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
    with the wild card mask you can specify a range of interface ips that you want to run the EIGRP process
  • shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    To go along with what gojericho0 said you use the wildcard mask to specify the range of ips that will advertise on the router. so you can type in 192.168.1.0 0.0.0.255 that will allow any interface in that range to advertise eigrp. if you had typed 255.255.255.0 the router will take it, and after re-reading some things I see this method will work as well, but when looking in the running configuration it will be displayed on the wildcard mask format of 0.0.0.255.
  • tech-airmantech-airman Member Posts: 953
    kadshah wrote:
    In the ultimate CCNA study package under the EIGRP section Brain says that EIGRP uses wildmask
    in their network statements NOT subnet masks. I've tried using a subnet mask and it worked fine.
    Did he mean by using a wildcard you can be more specific with your network statement?

Disclaimer: I have never heard of the "...ultimate CCNA study package..." so it's highly unlikely I'd know the exact wording used in that material.

kadshah,

For EIGRP, there are at least three ways to specify the network statement:
    1. network x.x.x.x
    2. network x.x.x.x s.s.s.s
    3. network x.x.x.x w.w.w.w

where:
    x.x.x.x is the IP address for the network
    s.s.s.s is the subnet mask
    w.w.w.w is the wildcard mask
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Disclaimer: I have never heard of the "...ultimate CCNA study package..." so it's highly unlikely I'd know the exact wording used in that material.

www.thebryantadvantage.com

The website is painful, but the information is good.

It's Chris Bryant's package. He also does the Train Signal CBTs.

Edit: Looks like he now has a CCNA: Security package as well!
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    It is not a subnet mask it is a wildcard mask. A 0 match 1 no match. So 10.0.0.1 0.0.0.255 would match 10.0.0.0-255. If you used 10.0.0.1 255.0.0.0 would match 1-255.0.0.0.1.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
    I wanted to test this and it does work in that format..

lab(config)#router eigrp 101
    lab(config-router)#network 10.10.0.0 255.255.0.0
    lab(config-router)#exit

lab#sh run

router eigrp 101
    network 10.10.0.0 0.0.255.255
    auto-summary
    no eigrp log-neighbor-changes
    I was just about to edit my post as I tried it too. I guess you learn something new everyday!
  • kadshahkadshah Member Posts: 388 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've tested both either works fine. Chris used the word NOT which led me to believe that you couldn't use a subnet mask until I tried it on my lab. Richard Deal's CCNA book says that a subnet mask could be used he doesn't even mention wildcard as being an option.
    The subnet mask option was added in 12.0 (4)T so a lot of people that have been around for a long time are probably not very familiar with it. I didn't find out about it until today myself.
    The subnet mask option was added in 12.0 (4)T so a lot of people that have been around for a long time are probably not very familiar with it. I didn't find out about it until today myself.

Even if you haven't been around long like myself I didn't know about it until I tried it :D