Options

VM Labs

ivlattivlatt Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi,
Recently I failed my 70-270 and been too busy to retake, but now I'm studying again, although, I've decided I want some more hands on server experience as I found a huge chunk of 270 was directed at more server\domain questions. I have Server 2003 on a machine, and also XP is my OS of choice on my main computer, although the server is wireless and has poor connection (above the router) so the wireless often drops out and cannot be repositioned (f*n parents icon_twisted.gif ). So if I setup VM on my main computer and emulate Server 2003 on it, will I also be required to emulate XP too, in order to be able to interact\join the domain from XP?
Hope this makes sense....:D
Cheers

Comments

• Options
    paintb4707paintb4707 Member Posts: 420
    Yes, you would have to run XP in a VM as well.

Not to say that your host OS can't interact with a VM, because it CAN, but... If you used your host OS then... Basically what is going to happen is you're going to have to restart your host OS when you join the domain then when it comes back up it will be unable to authenticate because your domain controller (guest OS/VM) would not be running.

Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think that you would EVER be able to authenticate a domain account until you properly logged in the first time so that the password is saved to the cache.

Either way, there's no reason why you would use your host OS as a test subject. If you have 1 gig of ram on your machine, you run 2 VMs, allot 256 to each and it would work great.
  • Options
    ivlattivlatt Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    cacharocacharo Member Posts: 361
    I would suggest having 2 VMs one XP and one 2003 for your studies. That way you do not have to mess with any configs on your desktop, everything is left untouched.
    Treat people as if they were what they ought to be, and you help them become what they are capable of being.