Options

im am idiot

Young GrasshopperYoung Grasshopper Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
ok now that i got your attention, im having a problem. i have an optiplex 755 here at work with a built-in Intel(R) 82566DM-2 Gigabit Network card. Windows tells me its running at full duplex-1000mb. This is going into a dell 5234 switch which also tells me its at full duplex 1000mb. all of our workstations here have the same nic/detect the same speeds and everything however we can only transfer files at 100mb speeds. i am not sure why. our dell servers go thru the same switches and going from server to server gigabit speeds work but when going from desktop to desktop or desktop to server we cant get the speeds. we're using cat5e cables, gigabit switch, gigabit nics and both desktops and switch report full duplex 1000 but the speed just isnt there. does anyone know why this might be? when going from server to server the speeds are about 40-50MB a sec but from the desktops we only get 10-11MB

does HD speed play a factor in this? sounds silly but maybe these sata drives in desktops cant handle 30-40MB sec bandwidth im not sure

thanks

Comments

• Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    This question is more appropriate for the Microsoft section really.

Overheads are whats killing you here. The speed of your HD also plays a large part of it. Turn on jumbo frames.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Yes, the HD speed (and other factors) would limit the transfer rate. It doesn't matter the size of the pipe if you can't push that much data.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Copying a file isn't a good judge of how fast your network connection is. Too many factors are involved if you do that.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Also, you realize that network speed is measured in bits, right? If you're transferring at 50 megabytes, that's the same as 400 megabits.

How fast does one internal drive copy to another? It'll probably be in the same range. If the drives themselves can't go faster than that, there's no reason they'd be any faster over the network.