Options

Asus P5E3 Premium - Draft-n .... or just daft ?

jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
I have a draft-n router which is capeable up to 300MBit/s ... Asus claims that this motherboard is also capeable of up to 300MBit/s but I only get 150MBit/s maximum which suggests it doesn't support channel bonding .. the driver is way out of date (2007) and the device properties doesn't even let you change the band to ie 40Mhz ..

Someone got this mobo and was ever able to utilise 300MBits / s ?
My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p

Comments

• Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    For one thing, its the signaling rate you see advertised everywhere for WiFi. Actual data rate is a bit less than half and thats in ideal conditions.

Not much you can do it about it. You're at the mercy of the manufacturer and whether they'll give you an update that converts your draft-n device to a proper compliant 802.11n device when they finally hammer out the spec. Thats assuming that your draft-n device is actually capable of doing proper 802.11n. See if you can identify who actually make the chipset used and search around to see if there are any better drivers for it.

Broadcom start this whole thing off years ago by releasing a pre-802.11g chipset way before anybody else and managed to pretty much take over the market because of that.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    tiersten wrote:
    For one thing, its the signaling rate you see advertised everywhere for WiFi. Actual data rate is a bit less than half and thats in ideal conditions.

Yep. Wireless has a TON of overhead. You will most likely see half or less of what's advertised. If you're actually hitting 50%, that's excellent. They advertise bandwidth, you observe throughput.
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Just saw some hints on other sites .. apparently the wireless accesspoint needs to be able to run on 5GMhz where normal router for example run only on 2.4 .. Mmm...
    dynamik wrote:
    they advertise bandwidth, you observe throughput.

Oh good point
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p