Options

3G Iphone - Love it or Hate it

tallicaman99tallicaman99 Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
I think it's a cool phone! I've had it for a few weeks now. The user interface is sweet. It feels like you have more control over the phone with the touch screen. The touch screen keyboard takes some getting used to. The GPS has helped out a few times so far. I do see room for improvement with certain apps and other stuff. The camera doesn't have a zoom function. My coworkers frown upon anything Apple. What do you guys think?
barmetallicafanjb1.jpg

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I think more than anything, I dislike how Apple locks everything down. They make some sexy hardware, but having to do things like jailbreak your phone just to put your own apps on it is ridiculous. They're going to have to do a lot more to get me to get on board. It sounds like the 3G is buggy has hell too. Expanding beyond AT&T would help too, but I think they're contractually stuck with them for a few more years.

Does any phone have a good "zoom" feature. They'd have to implement that mechanically for it to produce quality results. Otherwise, you're just using digital zoom, which is equivalent to zooming into an image in Photoshop.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    The iPhone in general has reception issues. Now that the 3G model is out, Apple/Infineon will probably try to refine the general design and will stealth fix it in some later revision.

One of the Nokias actually had a proper camera with optical zoom. Most of them have proper focussing now so the one in the iPhone is a bit retro...
  • Options
    xwesleyxwillisxxwesleyxwillisx Member Posts: 158
    Enterprises and IT folks especially seem to have a bias against all things Apple in general. The reason is ignorance. Granted, the snobby tv ads and hip college students hurt the image, but the fact is, times are changing. Most people who have an aversion to the iPhone or Macs are usually people who have never used one.

As an fyi, Apple doesn't lock down the phone because they want to or to piss on people. The reason is ATT. Their contract stipulates the device must be ATT exclusive and giving root access to the phone (jailbreak) allows the baseband modem firmware to be manipulated (unlocked).

Apple has addressed the issue of supported 3rd party apps through the AppStore. I'll admit the AppStore has drawbacks (must meet approval process, slow updates), but name me another device that has anything close to as good as that.

Believe me, the first time you VPN from your phone to work/home and log in to a device you'll appreciate the true power of the device. Also, MobileSafari is the best mobile browser, period.
  • Options
    As an fyi, Apple doesn't lock down the phone because they want to or to piss on people. The reason is ATT. Their contract stipulates the device must be ATT exclusive and giving root access to the phone (jailbreak) allows the baseband modem firmware to be manipulated (unlocked).

Apple has addressed the issue of supported 3rd party apps through the AppStore. I'll admit the AppStore has drawbacks (must meet approval process, slow updates), but name me another device that has anything close to as good as that.
    No. Apple were the ones that locked it down. Unlocking the phone portion wasn't the reason for the whole thing to be locked down. The original design was that the only 3rd party applications were browser based. It was only after people jailbroke it and started releasing applications did they change their mind.

Apple want to make appliances. Plug it in and go. You shouldn't be able to modify anything.
  • Options
    jryantechjryantech Member Posts: 623
    I'm posting on my 3g right now and I got it over a blackberry because it's very easy to use and iTunes plus it I hate the rolling ball on blackberries.
    "It's Microsoft versus mankind with Microsoft having only a slight lead."
    -Larry Ellison, CEO, Oracle

Studying: SCJA
  • Options
    Requires physical access to your phone.... That's like saying your wallet has a security flaw.....
  • Options
    Yeah. As xwesleyxwillisx said, if you've got physical access to the phone then you've lost anyway.

You can extract the passcode from an iPod/iPhone anyway if you plug it into a PC. It isn't stored in the keyring for some reason.
  • Options
    jryantechjryantech Member Posts: 623
    Requires physical access to your phone.... That's like saying your wallet has a security flaw.....

lol...

Honestly I got a nice deal on it $149, I had to renew my contract and I got a coupon for $50 off.

So far it has been great for Organization, E-mail, Text, Stock quotes(I've been investing for almost a year now) and GPS.

The Blackberry is awesome because of the keypad but the navigation on those things SUCK. In my opinion of course.
    "It's Microsoft versus mankind with Microsoft having only a slight lead."
    -Larry Ellison, CEO, Oracle

Studying: SCJA
  • Options
    Don't other devices have the ability to wipe themselves (which sounds hilarious) if they are lost and someone tries to access them?

This one is kind of funny (depending on your perspective): http://www.latimes.com/technology/la-fi-apple25-2008aug25,0,2200545.story
  • Options
    dynamik wrote:
    Don't other devices have the ability to wipe themselves (which sounds hilarious) if they are lost and someone tries to access them?
    Most phones don't have that ability. None of the Nokia or Ericsson ones I've had did that. The most that happened was that you needed to take the battery out to reset it. Not sure about Blackberry ones.
  • Options
    I was referring to higher-end smart phones, not regular consumer phones.
  • Options
    dynamik wrote:
    I was referring to higher-end smart phones, not regular consumer phones.
    They were the smart phones :P

Some of the ones I've had in the past are the P800, P900, P990, P1i and E90, N95. Pretty sure they count as smartphones...
  • Options
    If you are using the iPhone with Exchange you can remote wipe. Although I think it may only wipe contacts, email, calendar etc...
  • Options
    If you are using the iPhone with Exchange you can remote wipe. Although I think it may only wipe contacts, email, calendar etc...
    That relies on you still being able to contact the phone though.
  • Options
    tiersten wrote:

As would any phone/device?
  • Options
    tiersten wrote:

As would any phone/device?
    It doesn't help if somebody had stolen your phone. The feature you'd want is the one dynamik said about it wiping the device if somebody entered the code in wrong too many times.

They'd have to actually erase the entire flash anyway and not just clear out the FS metadata. You can get low level access to the flash via software and read out any non erased pages.