Options

IT Security Analyst

mbock7mbock7 Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am majoring in Network Security at my university and will be graduating in may, i am in the process of studying for my Security+. I always look for jobs in my feild of Network Security and i see alot of Security Analyst jobs. I would like to be a Security Analyst but i am curious on what certifcations would be most desirable for an employer.
--Matt

Comments

• Options
    zen masterzen master Member Posts: 222
    My suggestion is CISSP. That is definitely the one I see being asked for most often.
  • Options
    I see that too, do you think maybe after security+ i should go for my SSCP, and then try for the CISSP?
    --Matt
  • Options
    cbigbrickcbigbrick Member Posts: 284
    And in conclusion your point was.....???

Don't get so upset...it's just ones and zeros.
  • Options
    Yeh, the thing is, one of the requirements for the CISSP is professional experience, 5 full time years of it. So, it's something that you build towards. For now, I guess you can look at doing certs like Security+ -> MCSA: Security, CCNA -> CCNA: Security, maybe even CEH or something along those lines. But, the CISSP is THE security cert.
  • Options
    gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Try looking for SOC positions in your area to gain some experience
  • Options
    What abou the CCSP ???
    --Matt
  • Options
    mbock7 wrote:
    What abou the CCSP ???

That's CISCO, and more on the technical side of networking. Are you interested in being a Cisco expert? That's no cake walk, and it's quite a few exams before you become a CCSP. The CISSP would prepare you for a less "hands on" role, and it's great for management.
  • Options
    arwesarwes Member Posts: 633 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've got a buddy that does network security monitoring for NASA. He just got his CISSP a few weeks back, and he's been in that line of work since about 2000. I see that the Snort folks have a certification program, so that might be something to look at. I know his team has used that in the past, but I think they may be using a custom IDS now.

He got his start doing regular help desk work, and after a year they had an opening on the network security team. He applied and has been there ever since. When he started he had a CIS degree, and no certs. Now I believe he has a Red Hat cert and the CISSP, and is about to start working on the CCNA at his boss's request.
    [size=-2]Started WGU - BS IT:NDM on 1/1/13, finished 12/31/14
    Working on: Waiting on the mailman to bring me a diploma
    What's left: Graduation![/size]
  • Options
    arwes wrote:
    I've got a buddy that does network security monitoring for NASA. He just got his CISSP a few weeks back, and he's been in that line of work since about 2000. I see that the Snort folks have a certification program, so that might be something to look at. I know his team has used that in the past, but I think they may be using a custom IDS now.

He got his start doing regular help desk work, and after a year they had an opening on the network security team. He applied and has been there ever since. When he started he had a CIS degree, and no certs. Now I believe he has a Red Hat cert and the CISSP, and is about to start working on the CCNA at his boss's request.

Was he responsible for the virus outbreak they had recently? :o
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    zen master wrote:
    arwes wrote:

Was he responsible for the virus outbreak they had recently? :o

[echo]IINNNNNNNNN SPAAAAAAAAAAACEEE[/echo] icon_lol.gif sorry, but everytime I hear about that, I just think of that phrase.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    arwesarwes Member Posts: 633 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Nah, they're usually fending off attacks from China & Korea. And occasionally catching idiots with wireless access points taped to the underside of their desks.
    [size=-2]Started WGU - BS IT:NDM on 1/1/13, finished 12/31/14
    Working on: Waiting on the mailman to bring me a diploma
    What's left: Graduation![/size]