Options

How can I configure cisco devices from Windows vista...

toputopu Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
Is there any one can tell me how can I use windows vista to configure my CISCO switch and router. I connected my console to cisco switch but nothing happening.. could you please advice me what I have to do to start my network configuration...currently I am using windows vista home basic... any suggestion!!!!! icon_rolleyes.gif

Comments

• Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Vista doesn't come with Hyperterminal so you need to download a terminal emulator

Here's a free one

http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA002416/teraterm.html
  • Options
    nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    go with tera term i love it
    WIP: IPS exam
  • Options
    famosbrownfamosbrown Member Posts: 637
    I use Putty to console from my Vista machines. You can just google Putty and find it free to download anywhere. It's very easy to use.
    B.S.B.A. (Management Information Systems)
    M.B.A. (Technology Management)
  • Options
    LOkrasaLOkrasa Member Posts: 343 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ditto... I use Putty as well.
  • Options
    cbigbrickcbigbrick Member Posts: 284
    Putty r0.60 is awesome!!!!
    And in conclusion your point was.....???

Don't get so upset...it's just ones and zeros.
  • Options
    iwormsiworms Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Does Putty or anything other than HyperTerminal have Xmodem feature? I use Putty mostly, but in rare cases when I need Xmodem I have to go back to HyperTerminal.
  • Options
    sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You can still use Hyperterminal if you want in Vista you just have to copy it over from a Windows XP computer or maybe a Windows XP CD. But like the others have said there are better alternatives.
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • Options
    iworms wrote:
    Does Putty or anything other than HyperTerminal have Xmodem feature? I use Putty mostly, but in rare cases when I need Xmodem I have to go back to HyperTerminal.

I believe Tera Term Pro has XMODEM capabilities. I'm not sure about Putty.
  • Options
    TeraTerm can support xmodem

When I was studying for the CCNA, I noticed that Odom (in Cisco's Video Mentor) used TeraTerm in every video. If Odom uses it, it can't be bad!
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If you don't mind paying, SecureCRT seems to be an excellent option.
  • Options
    hi guys,

thanks for your help. I am having another problem now, My laptop does not have any com1 serial port. I am trying to use ethernet port by using a converter but I am not getting any respons. Could you please tell me how can I configure my connection in PUTTY software, when I am using ethernet in both end (CISCO switch and my laptop)....
  • Options
    mgeorgemgeorge Member Posts: 774 ■■■□□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote:
    If you don't mind paying, SecureCRT seems to be an excellent option.

I use SecureCRT 6.1 now as well :) great program
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1
  • Options
    I am having another problem now, My laptop does not have any com1 serial port. I am trying to use ethernet port by using a converter but I am not getting any respons. Could you please tell me how can I configure my connection in PUTTY software, when I am using ethernet in both end (CISCO switch and my laptop)....
    Short answer: I don't think you can use the Ethernet port. You need a USB to serial adapter to simulate your USB port as a serial port.

Digression: Please note that RJ45 port/plug != Ethernet. Ethernet can run on other cables and connectors (e.g. fiber), and RJ45 can be used in other connections (e.g. Token Ring, phone). The console ports on Cisco devices use RJ45 connectors, but they are serial connections and thus incompatible with Ethernet.
  • Options
    cblm123cblm123 Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You can also turn telnet on for Vista...follow the below steps:

Go to Start –>> Control Panel –>>Programs ->> Programs and features –>> Turn Windows features on or off

After that, check Telnet Client and click ok.
  • Options
    Yep...we use SecureCRT at work...pretty cool.
  • Options
    icon_lol.gif you please tell me how can I configure my connection in PUTTY software, when I am using ethernet in both end (CISCO switch and my laptop)....[/quote]
    Short answer: I don't think you can use the Ethernet port. You need a USB to serial adapter to simulate your USB port as a serial port.

Digression: Please note that RJ45 port/plug != Ethernet. Ethernet can run on other cables and connectors (e.g. fiber), and RJ45 can be used in other connections (e.g. Token Ring, phone). The console ports on Cisco devices use RJ45 connectors, but they are serial connections and thus incompatible with Ethernet.[/quote]

yes you are right. as per your advice I am using usb port and an adapter between my computer usb connection and CISCO RJ45 console port. But when I am going to configure my device from PUTTY software its still taking CONNECTION as COM1. I think I need to change that com1 for something else, but I am not sure what it will be. Can you please give me any advice on that.

Cheers....
  • Options
    topu wrote:
    when I am going to configure my device from PUTTY software its still taking CONNECTION as COM1. I think I need to change that com1 for something else, but I am not sure what it will be. Can you please give me any advice on that.

Cheers....

The COM1 part is fine. You need to check the other settings (like bits per second).

Quick tutorial is here

http://www.kostis.net/hints/cisco/cisco-console.htm

And your CCNA textbook will definitely cover this
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    topu wrote:
    But when I am going to configure my device from PUTTY software its still taking CONNECTION as COM1. I think I need to change that com1 for something else, but I am not sure what it will be. Can you please give me any advice on that.
    Look in Device Manager for the serial port that gets added when you plug in the USB adapter. It'll say there what com port number you need in PuTTY.
  • Options
    Open Putty. It doesn't matter whether the router/switch is on or off. For real serial ports, you actually don't need to connect anything yet. For USB, you might need to plug in the USB half for the computer to think it has a serial port.

Click Serial on the left. Use the setting in this image:

putty1.png
    (Cisco devices have these default settings; other vendors vary - e.g. 38400 for Linksys; a used Cisco could have been changed by previous owner.)

Go back to Session and choose Serial and you're ready to connect. Or you can save the setting so you don't need to set it every time:

putty2.png

If a black screen appears then you are set. Output will show if cable is connected and you turn on the router/switch. If router/switch has already been running for a while (i.e. not booting) when you connect, pressing Enter usually works.

If it says Unable to open serial port then your COM# is wrong, serial port is disabled/nonexistent, or something wrong with the USB adapter.
  • Options
    I went through a brief moment of an issue with Putty and all I had to do was change the COM port number from COM1 to the COM# that was assigned by Vista. I did this by going into my Device Manager and looking at my Ports and seeing what number came after COM. In my case it was 6. I then changed COM1 to COM6 in Putty and I was all set! Everything worked flawlessly from there.

EDIT: tiersten already covered it above...
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    One more thing, Windows seems to sometimes get confused and think that your USB to serial adapter is a different one and then allocate it another com port number. If your terminal program complains that the port you used before no longer works then you'll have to go check it again.
  • Options
    You guys are amazing.. I love this forum...now I have setup my home network for my CCNA exam... I dont know where to start.. can you please give me some suggestions where and how can I start for my CCna exam... I have passed my CCENT last month now want to go for next step... Any suggestion will be appreciated...
    :D
  • Options
    hi now I have connected and configured my network but still I can't ping from one computer to another.. could you please tell what is the possible reasons for it. I have configure IP address every interfaces are connected to each other but still no success.

icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    We aren't mind readers, but I'd go out on a limb and say Windows firewall.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.