Options

Replication between DCs in one site

TontonsamTontonsam Member Posts: 90 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi, Today I decided to create a second DC with VM in case my primary DC fails. I choose the option Additional Domain controler for the existing Domain. So, it creates another DC for my domain. But I realize that when I create an user in my first DC, the user is replicated in my second DC. But when I create an user in the second DC, it never replicated to the first one. What is the reason? How can I resolve that? I said to myself maybe the first DC has only the Global Catalog.
And what do you think? Do you think that it is more interesting to create another domain in my existing forest as backup, in case my first DC fails or create an additional DC to my domain? I prefer to create another domain so later, I can test import global group in one DC to import to a local group of the other DC. There's many things I can test when I have two domains in my forest? What I plan, when I understand the solution of my first prob, I plan to demote the additional DC to create another domain in my forest.
MCP 70-270 / 70-290

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    How do you have DNS configured on your second server? DNS is my guess. It seems like the first server can find the second one, but not vice versa.

Also, what's in the replication log files in event viewer?

I'd suggest you figure out this problem before you move on to any other configurations. This is a great chance to learn.
  • Options
    You're right. It's a dns problem. I have created the second DC with another VMachine that has AD promoted, dns and dhcp. I demote the AD to create an additional DC. But when I disabled DNS, it still gives me prob. So, I install another VM from scratch with CD, create an additional DC and it works fine. It replicated very well.
    So, I plan to create another domain in my forest. Will I be able to retreive all my objects if the other domain crashes. I plan to create another domain for pratice and also as a backup DC in case my first domain fails. And if answer is yes, If my first domain fails, will I need to rejoin all the machine to the second domain or what will i have to do when the first domain fails. Thanks.
    MCP 70-270 / 70-290
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Ok, you confused me a bit with of all that, but as long as you have at least once domain controller in a domain, you'll be able to add another domain controller and replicate all the data from it. Does that answer your question?
  • Options
    No, If I have two domains techexams and technet in one forest and each domains has one domain controller. If the techexams DC fails down, will I be able to retrieve all the information with the technet domain? If yes, will I need to rejoin all the machine to the technet domain as I think they will have account on it.?
    MCP 70-270 / 70-290
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    No, each domain controller only holds the directory for a single domain (for the most part, save GCs and all). You would require 2 DCs per domain for the redundancy you are looking for.
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    DCPROMO /Adv with system state. Schema partition will be unchanged since it's only Read/Write for Schema Master. Configuration Partition will be updated with your child/tree domain. And your domain partition will be reverted back to the point your system state backup was taken.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Oh and also, if you don't have a backup, you're pretty much SOL. You'll still have a copy of your schema partition and can seize your Schema FSMO, you'll have a copy of the configuration partition, but all those enterprise accounts/groups are gone which would be VERY BAD. So, always have a backup, and at the very least, have a backup of your root domain!
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    Great!! I will plan to have two domains in my forest and two DC's in each domain. It's very easier to create a backup DC with VMware. Thanks.
    MCP 70-270 / 70-290