Options

Unable to query hostname on a remote DC via WAN

2»

Comments

• Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Well of course. If you're in the heat of the moment and something breaks, obviously you're going to use any resource available to fix it as fast as possible. I figured it would be pretty obvious I was talking about when you're in the general lab and learning phase of things to research questions that you have instead of just asking.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    theseman wrote:
    I know where you are coming from, and I agree to a point. I think the situation is important. If its test or lab scenario, they should do the research and testing then come for help.

But if we are talking production environment, and something is wrong, time is more important than getting the benefit of the learning process. It wasn't like the question was.. "What is WINS", or "What is DNS", it was "I have this problem in this production environment".

Question:

If you don't fundamentally know how stuff works, how do you know the info given to you by people you don't even know on a forum won't cause more problems than good?

I point out again this problem wasn't esoteric in nature. This is a basic problem that all MCSE's should know how to fix or understand at least the root case. This would be like a CCNA not knowing when to VLAN a switch, or an RHCE not knowing when to use vi.

I'll all about helping people. You're not doing anyone any favors giving them the answer to problems they should be able to solve themselves, or bailing them out from learning the material well.

If you don't want to work with people who are trying to help you be better at what you do, by all means, seek positions to work with people who give you the quick answers and don't give you the opportunity to grow.

There will come a time when you face problems so advanced, you can't turn to help from someone who can give you the answer. If you don't know how to solve problems yourself, what are you gonna do then?
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    bjaxxbjaxx Member Posts: 217
    HeroPsycho wrote:
    theseman wrote:
    I know where you are coming from, and I agree to a point. I think the situation is important. If its test or lab scenario, they should do the research and testing then come for help.

But if we are talking production environment, and something is wrong, time is more important than getting the benefit of the learning process. It wasn't like the question was.. "What is WINS", or "What is DNS", it was "I have this problem in this production environment".

Question:

If you don't fundamentally know how stuff works, how do you know the info given to you by people you don't even know on a forum won't cause more problems than good?

I point out again this problem wasn't esoteric in nature. This is a basic problem that all MCSE's should know how to fix or understand at least the root case. This would be like a CCNA not knowing when to VLAN a switch, or an RHCE not knowing when to use vi.

I'll all about helping people. You're not doing anyone any favors giving them the answer to problems they should be able to solve themselves, or bailing them out from learning the material well.

If you don't want to work with people who are trying to help you be better at what you do, by all means, seek positions to work with people who give you the quick answers and don't give you the opportunity to grow.

There will come a time when you face problems so advanced, you can't turn to help from someone who can give you the answer. If you don't know how to solve problems yourself, what are you gonna do then?

My personal feeling is this board does alot of enabling in itself, ask a question you get an answer, simple as that.

Reminds me of a previous post that states an MCSE can get there there certs in less than a year.

http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=26567

Ring a bell JP

For a green "engineer" to obtain mcse status in less than a year is completely off the mark.

You don't get titles like "engineer" without hard work, dedication.
    "You have to hate to lose more than you love to win"
  • Options
    jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    HeroPsycho wrote:
    theseman wrote:

Question:

Why do you still think I have 0 knowledge with NETBIOS/WINS.

I was confused on where does the PDC Master Browser list gets it's information that is presented to client machines trying to query netbios.

You went ahead and assumed that I have no knowledge with NETBIOS/WINS, which I found untrue, I am rusty and I admit.

But anyway this is my basic understanding about NETBIOS/WINS.

Everyone would know what NETBIOS is, cause when we rename our computer that stuff is NETBIOS it's the first 15 characters you give your computer name, when you exceed that 15 character it is now considered a DNS hostname, The "Lmhosts" file contains static NetBIOS-to-IP address mappings, this will avoid broadcast from being sent by clients on a single VLAN/Subnet. Now if you span to multiple VLAN and client needs to query hosts on different VLAN, then a WINS is now needed and the Master Browser gets its list from the WINS server which is presented by the clients trying to query a host.

This is where I am confused if the latest Windows Server 2000/2003 Master Browser/Computer Browser service still relies on WINS, but don't worry I will find the answer to this shortly.

Thanks for the post Royal I will be practicing on my home lab, but for someone to say that I will not be able to configure something without asking the board first, is absolutely false, I can research this on my own and find answers, I have done it and survived the IT field for 5 years, and if I am unsure I will apply it first on my test box before I do it on a production environment, I just cannot know everything 100 % of the time and so do you.
  • Options
    bjaxx wrote:
    HeroPsycho wrote:
    theseman wrote:

Question:

My personal feeling is this board does alot of enabling in itself, ask a question you get an answer, simple as that.

Reminds me of a previous post that states an MCSE can get there there certs in less than a year.

http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=26567

Ring a bell JP

For a green "engineer" to obtain mcse status in less than a year is completely off the mark.

You don't get titles like "engineer" without hard work, dedication.

I started back on May of 2007, so that's about 1 year and 3 months.

I just can only hope that when I get a job they only wanted you to do MCSE nothing more this will give me so much time to re-inforce my understanding on areas where I still needed, but we all know that this is not the case, an employer will want you to work on different things. As a result I have to jump from different technology and study them, having a shaky foundation with the others, I gotta eat.

But like I already mentioned I am responsbile enough to know my weakness, that is the main reason why I will be going back to MCSE to practice more advance lab scenarios.

And for the RHCE part, I have already dropped this along time ago, even if I have received my book last 2 weeks ago.

Dynamik knows that I have not posted anything on the boards, for almost 2 weeks now, for that same reason, I just cannot studdy CCNA and SCOM all at the same time, there's just no way, and I know inside me that I will be taking my precious time with CCNA and SCOM, for that exact same reason that my home lab is almost like my companies production environment.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    HeroPsycho wrote:

What does 6 have to do with Linux?
  • Options
    Dude, I'm seriously happy for you that you dropped RHCE. No hard feelings, etc. Good for you that you're going back and learning this stuff well before you move on.

I only brought up RHCE and CCNA as analogies if those cert holders didn't know certain basic foundational knowledge.

Looking up at your description of NetBIOS and WINS, I stand by what I said. You don't understand how it works. Sorry. Not being mean, but you have numerous inaccuracies that are so convoluted, it's impossible for you to understand what's going on with name resolution in general It's truthful to say that no, you do not understand it. I think anyone who does understand it would honestly say the same thing.

So go learn it, and grow your knowledge! Don't take it personally when someone gives you an honest appraisal of your knowledge. Use it as constructive criticism and better yourself.
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    This thread is driving me batty... To anyone who needs to learn or who wants a good refresher on how NetBIOS name resolution works within Windows, please read this excellent article:

How NetBIOS name resolution really works
    http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10878_11-5034239.html
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    dynamik wrote:
    HeroPsycho wrote:

What does 6 have to do with Linux?

icon_lol.gif of course dynamik brings in his humor
  • Options
    I will learn this, but after this I will avoid posting anymore further questions about certain things, like I already mentioned I have survived the field without asking for help from TECHEXAMS.

Maybe I should fool myself after this, and pretend that I know it all, maybe the same reason when I had to rebuilt OWA on IIS via powershell, I was getting wrong informations from the same people who are posting on this thread, and I didn't see your input there Hero as far as I remember and I was just able to do it fine by myself applying advance technique, the problem is some of us think like "I AM GOD and I KNOW IT ALL".

I'm done with this, I will go and study, now I wish you guys would stop to, the damn thing is working right?
  • Options
    jbaello wrote:
    I will learn this, but after this I will avoid posting anymore further questions about certain things, like I already mentioned I have survived the field without asking for help.

Maybe I should fool myself after this, and pretend that I know it all, maybe the same reason when I had to rebuilt OWA on IIS via powershell, I was getting wrong informations, and I didn't see your input there Hero as far as I remember and I was just able to do it fine by myself applying advance technique, the problem is some of us think like "I AM GOD and I KNOW IT ALL".

I'm done with this, I will go and study, now I wish you guys would stop to, the damn thing is working right?

Please don't insinuate that I think I know it all. If I knew it all, I wouldn't be sitting here on a Saturday reading a book about PowerShell with the words "for the absolute beginner" in the title. icon_rolleyes.gif
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    HeroPsycho wrote:
    jbaello wrote:
    I will learn this, but after this I will avoid posting anymore further questions about certain things, like I already mentioned I have survived the field without asking for help.

Maybe I should fool myself after this, and pretend that I know it all, maybe the same reason when I had to rebuilt OWA on IIS via powershell, I was getting wrong informations, and I didn't see your input there Hero as far as I remember and I was just able to do it fine by myself applying advance technique, the problem is some of us think like "I AM GOD and I KNOW IT ALL".

Please don't insinuate that I think I know it all. If I knew it all, I wouldn't be sitting here on a Saturday reading a book about PowerShell with the words "for the absolute beginner" in the title. icon_rolleyes.gif

Unfortunately this is how you think sometimes, and this is how I feel, you give an advise with net send yet you cannot even include the recipient on your syntax. Don't worry man like I mentioned I will be knowing my stuff, but there is a great saying "sometimes we forget".
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    surrender.gifkillmyself.gifsmack.gifbanghead.gif

and of course

deadhorse.gif

Edit: For those of you (especially the drunken_smilie.gif ones) who don't understand this... What I'm trying to say is, can we at this point agree that nothing is going to be resolved for either "side" here today and just move on?
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    astorrs wrote:
    Edit: For those of you (especially the drunken_smilie.gif ones) who don't understand this... What I'm trying to say is, can we at this point agree that nothing is going to be resolved for either "side" here today and just move on?

I'll let the first part slide because of the pun in the second ;)
  • Options
    astorrs wrote:
    surrender.gifkillmyself.gifsmack.gifbanghead.gif

and of course

deadhorse.gif

Agreed. I apologize for my part in all this. Was sincerely trying to help, but it's pretty clear I'm not doing any good now...
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    JB I know it does not feel like it right now but from a 3rd party perspective Hero has been trying to help you, it hasn't all been hugs and kisses but where would they get you? Why would anyone on this board, busy as all are trying to study and hold down jobs, waste the effort to reply so much, even if they were vindictive they would have run out steam on the first page. The criticism may seem harsh but it was at all times constructive.
    It's obvious you love what you do and you seem an enthusiastic and decent guy but I'd have to agree on going back and really trying to understand the topics rather than learn them, you're obviously smart enough to do so and from what you have said you intend to, just don't take it personally when someone else points it out.
    I got kicked in the ass by what most Cisco folks would consider basic R&S in my last exam, it's humbling, but as long as you are willing to go back and fill in the holes it's all good in the end.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?