Options

Cover letter and Resume critique?

TalicTalic Member Posts: 423
I just redid my resume and made my first cover letter (woopie :D ) and I hope you guys can check it out for me. I'm a college student right now but I really do need to find a job while going to school, with the recession and everything getting expensive, I need work to keep going to school.
Name
Address Las Vegas, NV Zip
Phone email

IT Help Desk Technician

A information technology professional seeking a valuable opportunity for a learning experience in the IT field. A student with in depth networking knowledge such as TCP/IP and operating systems such as Windows and Linux is seeking a opportunity to exercise that knowledge in a real world environment while still working toward a college education.

Professional Experience

CDW – North Las Vegas, NV
Temp Employee (07/08-08/0icon_cool.gif

Configured 6,000 computers, did hardware and software installation such hard drive imaging, ram installation, video card installation, and Microsoft Windows configuration.

Circuit City - Las Vegas, NV
PC Sales Associate (11/07-01/0icon_cool.gif

Functioned as a member of the computer sales department, helping customers determine which PC would have the right parts for their needs.

Sam's Club - Las Vegas, NV
Carts Associate (06/06-09/06)

Returned carts and helped customers with heavy or numerous merchandise.

Education & Training

Associate of Applied Science Degree in IT
College of Southern Nevada, candidate for graduation 2009/10

A+ Certified

Network+ Certified

High School Diploma
Name
Address
Las Vegas, NV Zip
Phone
email

Dear Mr./Mrs.

Hello, I'm applying for your entry level IT position. I hope you can read over my resume and consider me a candidate for the position that you have open. I am a friendly, out going person that enjoys learning along with instructing people in learning new things.

My professional experience may seem lacking but my personal experience with technology isn't. I do have training that my certifications gave me which shouldn't leave me in the dark when it comes to learning new things.

With high motivation, I am studying for new certifications at my college, some of which may be high value. One certification is CCNA and the other is Linux+. I'm already familiar with networks after attaining my Network+ but I wish to seek more in depth network knowledge that the Cisco certification offers. The Linux certification would offer me the knowledge to maintain and configure not just Linux systems but also Unix based systems. After attaining those certifications I hope to start on some Microsoft Windows certifications.

I would enjoy an opportunity to talk with you or someone in your organization.

Sincerely,

Name

Nice try for anyone hoping for a email or phone # icon_lol.gif

The lay out is probably better with the word processor .doc but I didn't want to go through the trouble of uploading it to image shack.

Also, you guys comfortable with listing your name, address and phone number on your resume? I haven't gotten any spam calls or emails but I'm worried about more junk mail.

Comments