Options

Vmware Networking and virtual switches

slinuxuzerslinuxuzer Member Posts: 665 ■■■■□□□□□□
Ok, so I just watched this cbt nuggets video and have a question. I saw the instructor go in and break up his console port, his Vmkernal (I guess vmotion) and then another I believe this was his production nic into three different nics on three different virtual switches.

The questions is in ESX, are these virtual nics? or do all three have to be physical nics that he has setup in ESX?

and if they are three virtual that map over to one physical then whats the point?

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    In ESX there are 3 different kinds of network connections.

VMkernel - used by VMotion, software iSCSI for block transfers, etc
    Service Console - used by the service console, essentially the "management LAN"
    Virtual machines - used by all the guest VMs

You can have multiple connections for each, but you do require at least one of each type (if you want full functionality).

Whether they map to a single NIC, each to its own NICs, or to multiple physical NICs for each is up to you. It is typical in a production VMware environment to have 4+ NICs in each machine (I personally don't go below this) and not uncommon to see more (especially in environments where iSCSI or NFS is the shared storage).
  • Options
    perseu79perseu79 Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    can you say where I can find some texts about implemetation to Server using Vmare ?
    Chaider do Vale Lima
    Rio de Janeiro - Brazil