Options

Server 2003 and Windows Firewall

rowantreerowantree Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi, this is probably a really basic problem, but I haven't come across it before, so would appreciate some help.

I now have 2 2003 servers set up and in the same domain, but in order to get them to talk to each other (even to ping each other) I had to turn the firewall off. I want to be able to have one or both on the internet for updates etc, so can anyone suggest how I configure the firewall so that it protects me on the internet, but still allows the PCs on my internal network to communicate with each other?

Comments

• Options
    rowantreerowantree Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Sorted it! So not a complete waste of a day!
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Are you behind a hardware firewall/nat device? If so, you can just add exceptions for whatever ports, services, applications, etc. that you want. If your machines are directly connected to the internet, you're going to be very careful about what you allow and make sure to specify whether you want to allow traffic from anywhere, or something more specific, like only your local network. You may want to all HTTP from anywhere, but you'll probably only want to do something like file sharing on your local network.

edit: I guess I lost track of this new tab I opened - too slow icon_sad.gif Glad you got it sorted out.