Options

No entry-level Microsoft Developers Certifications...

So I browsed around Microsoft's website to find information on Developer Certifications because I really want to do something that involves C#/.NET(Visual Studio). And obviously no entry-level certifications...

So does anyone know what is the MOST basic C#/.NET cert for Visual Studio 2008? It can even be 2005 I suppose... I just want to test my knowledge and see what Microsoft is really looking for...
"It's Microsoft versus mankind with Microsoft having only a slight lead."
-Larry Ellison, CEO, Oracle

Studying: SCJA

Comments

• Options
    jbrown414jbrown414 Member Posts: 230
    I would recommend picking up a book or two on C# and getting to know the language first. If you try to just use the MS press books to study, you will be lost.
  • Options
    darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    This is a entry-level cert, even though they like to pretend it's not. It requires studying and experience working with .NET, but it's very doable without professional experience.

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exams/70-536.aspx
  • Options
    I'm studying for the 70-536 right now. I have no programming experience. That's why I bought a couple of C# books first so I have something to reference and can have a little background. Going to use the 70-528 to finish my MCDBA and get the MCTS: Web Applications.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The Windows Forms is probably the most basic.

www.wrox.com publishes excellent programming books, but they don't map to a specific exam. I'd use those to get up to speed and then get an exam-specific resource.

Also, www.learnvisualstudio.net is another great resource. The lifetime membership is a sweet deal. They have a ton of high-quality material.
  • Options
    jryantechjryantech Member Posts: 623
    So everyone agrees someone without professional experience should go for 70-536?

• Options
    I have no professional experience and I am going for it so why not.

I always like to throw this link out there as it is free stuff.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/beginner/default.aspx

I'll throw this one out just for fun.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/beginner/bb308754.aspx
  • Options
    I was actually talking about 70-505, but 536 might be a better one to start with.
  • Options
    jryantechjryantech Member Posts: 623
    dynamik wrote:
    Also, www.learnvisualstudio.net is another great resource. The lifetime membership is a sweet deal. They have a ton of high-quality material.

I've heard most of the videos are a bit old (2003-2005)... is this true?
    Although I'm sure the information can still be valuable today.

• Options
    Visual Studio 2005 covers .NET 2.0. If the videos are from 2005, they should still be relevant. They may not have videos on Visual Studio 2008 yet. Older videos are still good as well since some companies may still be using the older versions of Visual Studio.
  • Options
    That was the original batch of videos, but I am constantly getting emails from them with updates.

I just logged in and it looks like they have over 50 videos in 2008 and much more than that in 2007. I got my lifetime membership back when it was $99 icon_cool.gif

As jbrown stated, a lot of the older material will still be relevant.