Options

Tricky problem...

I have a user that has some network drives manually mapped as a different user and set to reconnect automatically. The mapping and connection works fine. The problem is there doesn't seem to be any way to save the credentials of the user the drive is mapped with. So when logging on the system tries to reconnect with the user name originally used but doesn't have the password saved. It makes failed logon attempts in this manner and locks out that domain user account.

I know I could use the net use command to script the connection of the drive during logon but I don't want to have the password stored in plain text or make the user have to manually enter the password every time.

Anyone know a way around this?

Comments

• Options
    NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    I guess my question would be why does the user need another person's credentials? You shouldn't need to specify any credentials in a log on script if your permissions and security is set correctly and they are logging onto the domain.

For example in my company, i have a log on script similar to below and don't need to specify any credentials. Everyone has read access to each folder below. They may not necessarily have access to all sub folders though. My setup is pretty simple though, you may have a much more complex configuration going on.

net use n: \\Server1\Company
    net use p: \\Server2\Engineering
    net use s: \\Server3\Sales

I Hope this helps
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)