Options

Advice please, just started

beginner_ccnabeginner_ccna Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
hi guys,

just brought the book CCENT/CCNA ICND1, can you guys give me some advice/tips for any sites or wether this book is any good? really am new to this CCNA so need as much info as possible please.

thanks

Comments

• Options
    IgloodudeIgloodude Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    hi guys,

just brought the book CCENT/CCNA ICND1, can you guys give me some advice/tips for any sites or wether this book is any good? really am new to this CCNA so need as much info as possible please.

thanks

Welcome to the forum! :)

If you're talking about the Cisco self-study guide, I found it to be pretty good, though I ended up getting an ExamCram book a couple days before my CCENT exam - I've found that it isn't very often that a single study source covers all the material actually tested on the exam. Unfortunately, I can't remember any particular area that was weak on the Cisco book, sorry.
    Next up: MS Server 2008 Network Infrastructure (70-642), CCNA (640-816)
  • Options
    human151human151 Member Posts: 208
    Wendall Odom is a good author. and lays out most of the information fairly well. That said, I have taken the ICND 1 test twice! icon_mad.gif and not passed. So after not passing I, I decided to get a different authors perspective. I bought The CCNA study guide from SYbex, written by Todd Lammle and am about 50% through the book. So far I would have to say that I prefer Lammle's book over Odoms because of the way Lammle presents it. For me lammles presentation of the information is easier for me to understand. So I would suggest reading the Book you have now, since you already bought it and then reinforcing what you learned from ODom with the Book by Tood Lammle.

You are also going to want to get your hands dirty by actually working with the IOS. You can buy some used equipment off ebay, buy some from various websites such as ciscokits.com. Having the real thing is always the best option but if buying equipment is not an option right now, as its not for me, you can buy some sort of router simulation. Router Sims are not quite as good but they are good nonetheless. I have the Sybex virtual router titanium edition, which I found out is the product from routersim.com but in a different package. Ciscopress is comming out with thier own router SIm sometime next month.

many people also speak highly of CBT Nuggets, which is video training. I do not have it so I cant comment on its quality.
    Good Luck!
    Welcome to the desert of the real.

BSCI in Progress...

Cisco LAB: 1x 2509
    1X2621
    1x1721
    2x2950
    1x3550 EMI
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Both the sybex and odom books are very good books - i read both for my studies. Both books present the info in a slightly different manner so it depends on which writing style you prefer to determine which book is best for you.

As always you should try and study from more than one source so these 2 books combined are more than enough to pass the exam.

You should also search the cisco doc cd for additional info on each subject too - its free too.

most people use these give or take:

Odom / sybex book
    cisco doc cd
    TE's technotes
    Hands on practice
    CBT nuggets
    subnettingquestions.com
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    beginner_ccnabeginner_ccna Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    thanks for the advice guys, really appriciated.

was just wondering what the name of Todd Lammle's study guide books are for the new ccna exams, as ive currently got one of his for the old exams and perfer the way his are to Wendell Odom

thanks