Options

redistribution

_maurice_maurice Member Posts: 142
Let's say I have 3 routers. Routers A, B, and C. Router A is using EIGRP, and Router C is using ISIS.

A
B
C

Router B will have 2 way redistribution. Only level 1 ISIS routes must be redistributed into the EIGRP realm. EIGRP routes must be redistributed as level 1 routes in the ISIS realm with a metric of 12.

Are these the commands I would use?

router isis
redistribute eigrp 1 level-1 metric 12
router eigrp 1
redistribute isis level-1 metric 1544 5 255 1 1500

Comments

• Options
    ump001ump001 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    hi,

yep looks of to me, but i think the commands may be in the following order:

router isis
    redistribute eigrp 1 level-1
    metric 12

router eigrp 1
    redistribute isis level-1 metric 1544 5 255 1 1500
  • Options
    Do I need to use this command to redistribute the directly connected subnets?

"redistribute connected"

What if the directly connected subnets are included in the network command?
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    _maurice wrote:
    Do I need to use this command to redistribute the directly connected subnets?

"redistribute connected"

What if the directly connected subnets are included in the network command?

Redistribute connected to redistribute connected interfaces into the IGP yes.

If your subnets are included in the network command why would you want to redistribute directly connected subnets particularly?
  • Options
    It was suggested on another forum:

For redistribution you need the command redistribute connected under the eigrp routing process because connected routes aren't advertised by ISIS. There is no network command to advertise ISIS routes. Whereas, you advertise eigrp routes with the network command and so the redistribute connected command is not needed when redistributing eigrp into isis.

Is this a valid suggestion? Thanks
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I cant see a network statement for your IS-IS instance but no matter. I vaguely recollect problems of this type when I looked at IS-IS back in the day.

Issues with redistributing connected interfaces running in IS-IS on a router. Try redistribute connected under your eigrp instance to get these networks into your eigrp AS.

Here's an example of the issue..

sic "When redistributing out of IS-IS, any locally connected routes that aren’t already in the destination protocol of the redistributing router don’t get carried over."

http://ccnprecertification.com/2005/11/22/redistribution-involving-is-is/
  • Options
    If I use the "redistribute connected" command under the EIGRP routing process, I see that the connected ISIS networks get successfully redistributed into EIGRP.

Why is this? There is no default-seed metric being used. I thought that EIGRP has an infinite metric when no seed value is set.

Any help on this is greatly appreciated. Thanks
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    You do not need to specify a seed metric when redistributing connected in EIGRP. The networks are directly connected and do not need a seed metric as you would with routes learned from another routing protocol.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    good to know. thank you sir