Cab prices in the US

GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
So kind of an question, but I never really take a cab ever, let alone in the states.

How much would a cab cost to go from San Francisco, to San Jose? To be specific, its about 35miles.

Is there any other options to get from one city to the other? Train system? dont want to rent a car.

Comments

• undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    You could check on taking a bus, that should be cheaper. But to do a cab would be rather expensive you may just be better off renting a one-way car in that case.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • DiminutiveDiminutive Member Posts: 102 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Caltrain goes from SF to SJ. There was even a free bus from SFO to the Burlingame Caltrain station IIRC. In SJ you can go Light Rail or Bus or cab or w/e from CalTrain, check out the VTA website for SJ transport.
    WIP: Win2008 MCITP Upgrade
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Looks like it would run you about $160-195 from SFO to San Jose (taxis starting at SFO that have to go >15 miles from the airport run the meter at 150%). A flight between the two is around $130 so that's another option. One-way rental car would run you around $100.
  • GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    awesome thanks for the info guys.

Ya its about $150 difference in plane tickets from where I am, so thats why I asked. Ill look into rail I guess, otherwise I'll just land in san jose.
  • Mmartin_47Mmartin_47 Member Posts: 430
    What you do is take BART to Fremont station and catch the bus from there. I'm from the Bay Area myself.
    Diminutive wrote:
    Caltrain goes from SF to SJ. There was even a free bus from SFO to the Burlingame Caltrain station IIRC. In SJ you can go Light Rail or Bus or cab or w/e from CalTrain, check out the VTA website for SJ transport.

Woops forgot about CalTrain. Yeah the station is in downtown SF near the stadium.
  • GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    So you are saying you will give me a ride martin? :P
  • AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    And don't forget the Tip....I never understood why Taxi driver's expect a tip. Your waiter/waitress fair enough as they contribute greatly to your dining experience but why pay someone extra when they just did what they were supposed to in the first place."Hey, I took you from A to B....in a car...on a public road...I think my efforts went way beyond what was expected (of taking you from A-B in a car on a public road) and should be rewarded!"
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Yeah, tip big here in a Cali.

You are going to want to take BART. Avoid touching anything on BART. It's nasty stuff. Joking.. but not.

http://bart.gov/
    -Daniel
    Daniel333 wrote:

You are going to want to take BART. Avoid touching anything on BART. It's nasty stuff. Joking.. but not.

What city you from? :D
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,078 Admin
    Cabs charge by the time, not by the distance. Lots of traffic between SF and SJ. 35 miles could take a couple of hours depending on the day and the time. Mass transit or a shuttle service would be cheaper.
  • Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yeah. Cabs over here rip you hardcore for anything more than a couple of miles.
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Mmartin_47 wrote:
    Daniel333 wrote:

Wow, my first online stalker. Hayward, but I work in the city.
    -Daniel
    Daniel333 wrote:
    Mmartin_47 wrote:
    Daniel333 wrote:

Haha. Ah not that bad about 30 minutes to my place. I passed by there today. Went to Frys in Fremont. =)
    Mmartin_47 wrote:
    Daniel333 wrote:
    Mmartin_47 wrote:
    Daniel333 wrote:

Haha. Ah not that bad about 30 minutes to my place. I passed by there today. Went to Frys in Fremont. =)

Dang man. Thanks for your effort for those Vista videos. I'm actually studying it now. Trying to work at Geek Squad. Only job that has called me unfortunately. Heh I have no previous work experience anyways.
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Having worked for a couple of the transit authorities in the Bay Area, I know that they're planning on expanding BART down through the East Bay and into San Jose, but that project is goign to be finished sometime next century. . .

Your best bet is either renting a car, if you're coming here for a few days, or using public transportation. The cabbies will bleed you dry, somewhere around $200 one-way sounds about right, between San Francisco and San Jose. And even then, public transportation in the US is. . . thin-spread.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
    Slowhand wrote:
    Having worked for a couple of the transit authorities in the Bay Area, I know that they're planning on expanding BART down through the East Bay and into San Jose, but that project is goign to be finished sometime next century. . .

Your best bet is either renting a car, if you're coming here for a few days, or using public transportation. The cabbies will bleed you dry, somewhere around $200 one-way sounds about right, between San Francisco and San Jose. And even then, public transportation in the US is. . . thin-spread.

Yeah. BART also wants to replace all its cars to 3 doors on each side!
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Mmartin_47 wrote:
    Good to know my tax-money and bridge fare is going to such a worthwhile cause. They planning on resurfacing the rails with gold, too?

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
    Slowhand wrote:
    Mmartin_47 wrote:
    Good to know my tax-money and bridge fare is going to such a worthwhile cause. They planning on resurfacing the rails with gold, too?

LOL. What they should do is get rid of that horrible grinding noise as you pass through the Berkeley Hills and also in the TransBay Tube. It's almost ear-piercing.

Check out www.bartrage.com =)
  • LizanoLizano Member Posts: 230 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ahriakin wrote:
    And don't forget the Tip....I never understood why Taxi driver's expect a tip. Your waiter/waitress fair enough as they contribute greatly to your dining experience but why pay someone extra when they just did what they were supposed to in the first place."Hey, I took you from A to B....in a car...on a public road...I think my efforts went way beyond what was expected (of taking you from A-B in a car on a public road) and should be rewarded!"

Haha, there´s this guy on CNN Headline news, Glenn Beck, he has an entire chapter on one of his books about why not to tip, though at the end he admits when he goes out with his wife he ends up tipping the waitress. Interesting book called An inconvenient book.