Options

CCA

If a guy wanted to start studying for his CCA -

how would he do it?
"You have to hate to lose more than you love to win"

Comments

• Options
    stupidboystupidboy Member Posts: 470
    Firstly that guy would need to choose the CCA that interested him. Citrix offers a range of CCA certifications to cover their product line.
      Citrix Certified Administrator for Citrix Access Gateway 4 Citrix Certified Administrator for Citrix Access Gateway 8 Enterprise Edition Citrix Certified Administrator for Citrix Application Firewall 8 Citrix Certified Administrator for Citrix EdgeSight 4 Citrix Certified Administrator for Citrix Password Manager 4 Citrix Certified Administrator for Citrix Provisioning Server 4 Citrix Certified Administrator for Citrix WANScaler 4 Citrix Certified Administrator for Citrix XenDesktop Enterprise Edition 2 Citrix Certified Administrator for Citrix XenServer Enterprise Edition 4 Citrix Certified Administrator for NetScaler 8 Citrix Certified Administrator for XenApp (Presentation Server 4)

I will assume that you are referring to Citrix Certified Administrator for XenApp (Presentation Server 4) as most people are only aware of this CCA.

The CCA XenApp 4 requires 2 exam passes:
      (CTX-1455CW) Citrix Common Management Platform 4.5: Administration - A web based course and examination (you must pass otherwise you will need to pay to take the course and exam again) (1Y0-259) Citrix XenApp (Presentation Server 4.5): Administration - A visit to you local prometric or VUE centre is required here.

You can self study, however, here in the UK you cannot buy the Citrix courseware without attending a Citrix course and there are few very good printed books out there.

If you live in the US I belive that you can contact a CAL (Citrix Authorised Learning Centre) and purchase the official courseware directly.

The official courseware covers all you are likely to encounter in the exam and covers most of what the product has to offer.

If you have a lab that you can really play with the product or have a lot of hands on experience then I can recommend Citrix CCA MetaFrame Presentation Server 3.0 and 4.0 Exam Cram™ (Exams 223 and 256) but it is not for the Citrix noob

I hope this covers what you are looking to know (if not please ask for more). I don't want to scare you off as Citrix is a very interesting product and the CCA track can be quite rewarding (personally and financially)
  • Options
    bencairneybencairney Member Posts: 76 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you have experience with Citrix, the CCA for PS 4.0 is quite an easy exam(compared to the MS ones I've done). If you use PS 4/4.5 then you shouldn't have too many problems. If not try and get a copy of PS installed and play around with it.

Check out the exam enablement guide on the citrix website. This gives you what's covered in the exam. You can get The Admin Guide of off the citrix website as well, this is a great doc with loads of useful info, same for the advanced concepts guide.

Study material is a bit limited for Citrix, there's not many books about. CBT Nuggets is really good for the 256 exam. The offical citrix courseware is pretty good too.

I used the online exam simulators and study guide from citrixxperience, these are great value and really good preperation.

Good Luck with the CCA.
  • Options
    bjaxxbjaxx Member Posts: 217
    bencairney wrote:
    Do you have experience with Citrix? If so then the CCA is quite an easy exam(compared to the MS ones I've done). If you use PS 4/4.5 then you shouldn't have too many problems. If not try and get a copy of PS installed and play around with it.

Check out the exam enablement guide on the citrix website. This gives you what's covered in the exam. You can get The Admin Guide of off the citrix website as well, this is a great doc with loads of useful info, same for the advanced concepts guide.

Study material is a bit limited for Citrix, there's not many books about. CBT Nuggets is really good for the 256 exam. The offical citrix courseware is pretty good too.

I used the online exam simulators and study guide from citrixxperience, these are great value and really good preperation.

Good Luck with the CCA.

I have minimal experience with citrix, I see alot of jobs where people want citrix experience.

Sorry, I assumed CCA was the entry level cert for citrix...

Thanks, i'm almost finished with the mcsa but I wanted to take a break after the mcsa with something different then microsoft.
  • Options
    bencairney wrote:

Good call, forgot to mention citrixxperience, the study package is very good (and recently reduced in price icon_cool.gif). The study guide and exam engine really get you in the right frame of thinking and hammer it home.
  • Options
    bjaxxbjaxx Member Posts: 217
    stupidboy wrote:
    bencairney wrote:

Good call, forgot to mention citrixxperience, the study package is very good (and recently reduced in price icon_cool.gif). The study guide and exam engine really get you in the right frame of thinking and hammer it home.

Is citrix something that I can install in a test enviroment and get it up and running?

sorry for stupid questionicon_sad.gif
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    bjaxx wrote:
    stupidboy wrote:
    bencairney wrote:

Is citrix something that I can install in a test enviroment and get it up and running?

sorry for stupid questionicon_sad.gif
    Yes but you'll have to contact a Citrix rep to get an evaluation license & software.
    stupidboy wrote:
    Yeah just got that e-mail from Jeff. Glad to see he's dropped the prices. :D
  • Options
    astorrs wrote:
    Yeah just got that e-mail from Jeff. Glad to see he's dropped the prices. :D

Although nothing on 1Y0-A03 at the moment icon_cry.gif which I am struggling with at the moment, the online e-course is shocking. There is far too much information in a single slide and too much click this and that for more pointless wizziness.

Oh Well try again tomorrow icon_wink.gif