Microsoft Mojave

jbrown414jbrown414 Member Posts: 230
Did anyone catch the commercial for the Microsoft Mojave experiment?

It was showing real people testing a new Microsoft OS called Mojave and at the end, they told them that it was really Vista. Are they trying to remarket Vista or have they actually changed it?

Comments

• bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    A marketing exercise I believe?
    http://news.cnet.com/8301-13860_3-9998336-56.html
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Just a marketing experiment. :D
  • RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It's a marketing campaign that it is proving that many of the Vista haters have never even tried the OS.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    One of the sales reps here is like that. I told her I was upgrading her to Office 2007, and she replies, "YOU'RE NOT PUTTING VISTA ON IT, ARE YOU!?!?"

"Um, no. This is Office. Why don't you like Vista though?"

"I DON'T WANT IT!!!"

"Ok..."
  • KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I always want to punch the smiling guy when I see that ad. icon_lol.gif
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
  • pLuhhmmpLuhhmm Member Posts: 146
    id be quite angry if someone tricked me! :D
    Ever wonder what makes special sauce so special? YO!
  • jryantechjryantech Member Posts: 623
    They need to do something to get people to realize how good Vista is, in comparison to its image.

To many mindless sheep are running around hating it for no reason.
    "It's Microsoft versus mankind with Microsoft having only a slight lead."
    -Larry Ellison, CEO, Oracle

Studying: SCJA
  • jbrown414jbrown414 Member Posts: 230
    I'd probably like it if I used it. I don't have the means to shell out the money for it right now and XP is doing just what I need it to do.
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Yeah. Vista has a bad rep. I'm using it and I think its fine. It was a bit unstable initially but that was due to drivers being bad. Now its all settled down, its stable. You'll get that on any major OS upgrade to be honest.

The main complaints seem to be about the higher system requirements, UAC, Aero or the new start menu. OS upgrades will invariably want more system resources. If you want to run the latest greatest OS X release then you're not going to want to run it on some ancient old world Mac if you even can run it on there.

You can turn off UAC, Windows Sidebar, Aero and the new start menu anyway and that'll reduce the requirements quite a bit.

Windows Activation is a pain but what can you do. OS X doesn't need it because Apple make the hardware anyway so they've already got a chunk of your cash.
  • vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    dynamik wrote:
    One of the sales reps here is like that. I told her I was upgrading her to Office 2007, and she replies, "YOU'RE NOT PUTTING VISTA ON IT, ARE YOU!?!?"

"Um, no. This is Office. Why don't you like Vista though?"

"I DON'T WANT IT!!!"

"Ok..."

icon_rolleyes.gif
  • KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    One complaint I have is that drivers and software updates for Vista seem to be fairly large depending on the system. I have a new 320GB hard drive and in less than a week, I had filled 1/3. :D
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
  • sthomassthomas Member Posts: 1,240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I like Windows Vista a lot, and I think it is a great OS. But I do NOT like Vista out of the box. Once I configure it correctly It works great, it is better than Windows XP. Of course I never really liked XP right out of the box either. I dislike the Start menu and the default teletubbies background. But once I tweak it I like it.
    Working on: MCSA 2012 R2
  • pLuhhmmpLuhhmm Member Posts: 146
    People don't like vista because they try and run old hardware with new software and they dont get a Pentium 4 just doesn't cut it for vista. For XP from what I remember wasn't the P4 a big jump from P3? Its just now there's so many different processors to choose from, CDuo,C2Duo,AMDx2,AMD T-64,ect ect ect.. So IDK and vista is till in SP1, XP from what I remember wasn't all that good either Its just another Windows OS cycle, 98 users hated ME duh(well.... that's the exception :D) 98 users hated XP, and now XP users hate Vista soon Vista will become the "best os" just like how XP is atm in the mind of everyone.
    Ever wonder what makes special sauce so special? YO!
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    May I have your attention please?

PIZZA HUT DELIVERED THE VISTA!!!

anybody else think the mojave project is similar to those pizza hut pasta commercials?
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • webspongewebsponge Member Posts: 119
    I tweaked my Vista, and it runs just fine, many in my company were, "ooooooooh lets get vista, I like the sidebar and the 3d windows open option"

a sales director insisted on it at the time, so I added a vista machine as per request, and what did I get back?

"where`s all the stuff I had on XP?" icon_rolleyes.gif

I like Vista, and I do tweak it and make sure the machine Im putting it on acts ok to the domain and programs we use, but I install it when I know its ok, not when someone likes the bells and whistles on the latest OS.

vista will be just fine in my opinion :D
    CCDP Next
  • AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    "To be sure, the focus groups didn't have to install Vista or hook it up to their existing home network."

They were just shown it. The same way Vista looked great at the Msoft showcases and we all know it was a mess when first released.
    I have it running now on My Laptop (after taking it off a year ago) and I agree it has improved greatly since then but only after spending over an hour getting it updated with the SP and all relevant updates. And to be honest I mainly jumped again for Deskscapes and those nice Dreams ;)....I figure if you look at a computer screen for most of your life you may aswell look at a pretty one.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • rbutturinirbutturini Member Posts: 123
    Those Mojave commericals have existed for a while, I think even before Pizza hut started serving pasta.

Did anyone notice that the people in the commercial look like they barely could turn a computer on?
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    rbutturini wrote:
    Those Mojave commericals have existed for a while, I think even before Pizza hut started serving pasta.

Did anyone notice that the people in the commercial look like they barely could turn a computer on?

really? I never saw the mojave commercial until last night. Ive been seeing those dumb pizza hut ads for months now. either way, very similar
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • rbutturinirbutturini Member Posts: 123
    You're probably right. Thinking back now i think the first time I saw it was online somewhere running in the corner of a website. Curse you web 2.0!
  • Vogon PoetVogon Poet Member Posts: 291
    Correction...these type of commercials go back to palmolive dishwashing detergent from the 70s.
    "It's more than just mild. In fact, you're soaking in it."
    "Really?"
    I prefer the "less filling, tastes great" debates of the old beer commercials.
    No matter how paranoid you are, you're not paranoid enough.
  • MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    LOOOOOOOOOOOL

I thought this Mojave thing was some new parental control feature in Vista.

Shows you how much I pay attention to commercials.

icon_eek.gif
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • JJArmsJJArms Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    jryantech wrote:
    They need to do something to get people to realize how good Vista is, in comparison to its image.

To many mindless sheep are running around hating it for no reason.

Have disagree somewhat -- at my job there is no desire to upgrade to Vista, nor is there a need to upgrade to Vista.

This is in part that to install Vista every single computer will have to be replaced here, as opposed to making some minor upgrades to the XP machines.

My boss literally told me we are going to by-pass Vista and wait for the next Microsoft OS.

Personally, I have nothing against Vista but I have not read anything about Vista that makes me want to stop using XP and switch over.

Regards,

JJArms~
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    JJArms wrote:
    My boss literally told me we are going to by-pass Vista and wait for the next Microsoft OS.

I believe that's a common practice at most organizations. In addition to the costs of an upgrade, there is a huge cost associated with constantly training employees.
    JJArms wrote:
    Personally, I have nothing against Vista but I have not read anything about Vista that makes me want to stop using XP and switch over.

Saying there aren't enough compelling reasons to upgrade and saying it's a terrible OS are two very different things. I don't know anyone who I'd encourage to upgrade, but I'd encourage them to go with Vista over XP if given a choice on a new machine (now a moot point). There's a lot of features I've gotten used to with Vista, and I always feel like I'm on an antiquated machine whenever I'm on an XP box.
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Everyone here who installs Vista and Server 2008 immediately turns off the new start menu. I really don't see what the complaint about the new menu is. I absolutely love it. Hit a key and type in the first few letters into the search and viola I have my link pulled up. It's sped up my work flow a good bit especially when getting to control panel and administration items.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
    The new Windows Search is a spin off of Apple's Spotlight feature that has been around forever.
  • HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    Not exactly. The Vista search feature is integrated for enterprise search even through Sharepoint sites, etc. Apple's search has never been as powerful, integrated, or as large of a search scope.
    Good luck to all!