Options

If you work or have worked for an ISP can you help meh?

pLuhhmmpLuhhmm Member Posts: 146
Okay, I dont know how everyone feels on warez and stuff but I was wondering have ISPs ever giving notices about using sites like rapidshare sites and newsgroups?? I know that rapidshare uses HTTP so unless I was using an excessive amount of bandwidth I dont think they would notice. Thanks for your help.
Ever wonder what makes special sauce so special? YO!

Comments

• Options
    pryde7pryde7 Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I think it depends on the company policy, state or country rules and regulations.
  • Options
    arwesarwes Member Posts: 633 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Where I worked, we were 'hands off' unless presented with a court order. We did do IP logging for investigating abuse reports, and the occasional lawsuit but nothing more.
    [size=-2]Started WGU - BS IT:NDM on 1/1/13, finished 12/31/14
    Working on: Waiting on the mailman to bring me a diploma
    What's left: Graduation![/size]
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Why don't you just buy your software and not have to worry about it? icon_scratch.gif
  • Options
    TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
    ISP's dont monitor the software you download. It would take a lot of time/money for resources that aren't needed. I have worked for 3 large ISP companies and none of them monitored for warez. The only thing we monitored for was viruses, multicasting, things like that.

If it doesnt directly affect the network its not monitored.
  • Options
    IT_AdminIT_Admin Member Posts: 158
    That is correct ISP's do not care that much about DL unless you’re doing massive amounts all the time then MAYBE they might look into it. They do however take exception to your UL and they'll take action on this. I know of this 1st hand, I've received a few nasty cease and decease letter my old ISP & vendors icon_redface.gif

That was YEARS ago, things might have changed since then, and also I'm in Canada so our laws might be different then yours on this.

I am 99% sure thou that you can download anything you want *legally* but the minute you make it available for someone else to d/l off of you that is where the line is crossed and it becomes *illegal
    Next victim: 70-351

On my way to MCSE 2K3: Security
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    IT_Admin wrote:
    I am 99% sure thou that you can download anything you want *legally* but the minute you make it available for someone else to d/l off of you that is where the line is crossed and it becomes *illegal
    In most countries, downloading is still illegal. The companies just tend not to bother going after you if you've only done a single download. Its usually not worth the time and effort of getting some lawyer somewhere to send you a nastygram if you've only taken 1 copy of the it. If you go crazy and download everything and anything then they may take a larger interest in you.

Just because you're downloading stuff from rapidshare and sites like that doesn't mean you're safe. They can use legal methods to try and force the hosters to reveal details about who downloaded what and when.
  • Options
    hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    The only time an ISP will cause a fuss is when they receive a ceast-and-desist letter from some copyright owner who is claiming that X.X.X.X shared some of their intellectual property at a certain time.