Options

Which book to believe on OSPF ID?

Chris KnightChris Knight Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
The self study guide says the following;
[Alternatively, if the router-id ip-address OSPF router configuration command is used, it will override the use of the address
of a physical or loopback interface as the router ID. Using the router-id command is the preferred procedure for setting
the router ID.]

The exam guide says this;
[Generally, using the router-id command is not recommended because BGP and OSPF normally
pick a router ID the same way. Manually specifying a router ID can result in these IDs differing,
which can be a source of problems with BGP operation]

Both are cisco press books, but obviously now there is a conflict between cisco people icon_confused.gif
"Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, when he said, "I drank what?"
Chris Knight
Real Genius

Comments

• Options
    scheistermeisterscheistermeister Member Posts: 748 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I would use the router-id command... Mainly because if you let the router pick the ID you can have problems later if the router picks the wrong ID.
    Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
  • Options
    ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Here's the order :
    1- Router ID
    2- (if there's only one loopback) the loopback's IP address
    3- higest IP address of all physical interfaces
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The OSPF router ID has no effect on the BGP router ID and vice versa. Why do they need to be the same? It is mostly for convience rather than out of necessity. It may be confusing if the routing protocols have the same neighbor with different router IDs. Now in most cases on most network allowing the routers to select their router ID automatically should not present an issue. There are a few cases where hard coding the router ID is beneficial, like using a virtual link (which you shouldn't use anyhow). My other thought would be if you are using the router ID to set the value to an address that is not assigned to any interface on the router you can't use ping or traceroute to it, that could make management and troubleshooting difficult.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    kryollakryolla Member Posts: 785
    does it have anything to do with OSPF-BGP redistribution or sync?
    Studying for CCIE and drinking Home Brew
  • Options
    wat08wat08 Member Posts: 128
    Are you referring to this study guide...

http://www.ciscopress.com/bookstore/product.asp?isbn=158705146X

...and this exam guide?

http://www.ciscopress.com/bookstore/product.asp?isbn=158720147X

Which one would you recommend as a primary resource? The self-study guide publication date worries me...