Options

linux error

mishymishy Member Posts: 209 ■■■□□□□□□□
I Have just installed Fedora 9 to try running my webserver and I am completely new to linux so I am stuck because the display just cuts out everytime the login screen appears. I have tried to reinstall fedora but to know success.
The error message that comes up is "The greeter application appears to be crashing. Attempting to use different one." When I press Ok the same error comes up again and the next time it just freezes.

I have tried to restart and I am greeted by a grub> screen but I dont know what do from there. I noticed at the end of the install that my screen was hardly visible and I could hardly read anything but I just plodded on thinking it would sort its self out but now I cannot login.

I am using a Hp ML 115 proliant server and I think it has a Matrox Mga graphics card when I tried Ubuntu I could not get the graphics card past the 640 x 400 resolution.

Does anyone have an alternative?

Comments

• Options
    TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
    change the fstab to runlevel 3 and see if it boots into run level 3. Are are saying it does successfully complete the install, correct?
  • Options
    I have completed the installation successfully 3 times but when it reboots the scree characters are so small and I cannot even read them so I just press forward till I get to the logon screen. Thats where all the problems start.

So when I reboot the computer should I press any key to load menu and then press c to enter the command menu and at the grub screen I should enter the fstab 3 command. Sorry I am still new to linux and I just thought I can get away with installing it and installing apache,mysql,php and I am good to go but it seems I am stuck at the start point.

I have tried installing it and adding the livna repository but that has not solved the problems other sites are suggesting that I might be low on space but I have 5 partition each at least 80gig?
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    mishy wrote:
    I have completed the installation successfully 3 times but when it reboots the scree characters are so small and I cannot even read them so I just press forward till I get to the logon screen. Thats where all the problems start.
    Not really. Your problems started before that if you can't even read the text on the screen...
  • Options
    So what can I do to solve my problem. I am not going to reinstall the same software again? Is there away around on adjusting the screen size in the grub command?
  • Options
    TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
    Whats the command for adjusting the screen size in X? Isn't it like Shift + or Shift - ?

Someone help me out here. I am heading out the door so I am not gonna look it up.