Options

IOS versions with compatibility issues

mikearamamikearama Member Posts: 749
I can't find anything on this online, so maybe you techies can throw in whatever you think/heard:

I'm about to update our core 4500's from 122-22 to 122-25. When I gave our cisco account rep a quick call to update him, he asked what code was running on our 3750 stacks and on the few 2950's and 60's we have.

After hanging up, it occurred to me... who cares? What does the code running on other devices matter?

So, based on that, anyone heard of compatibility issues if the code on, say, the cores is the latest, while stacks attached via ether-channels / trunks are not?

Mike
There are only 10 kinds of people... those who understand binary, and those that don't.

CCIE Studies: Written passed: Jan 21/12 Lab Prep: Hours reading: 385. Hours labbing: 110

Taking a time-out to add the CCVP. Capitalizing on a current IPT pilot project.

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I have seen all kinds of weird issues with IOS so it wouldn't surprise me.

I have not seen anything specific to this scenario though.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yes we just went through this on a 4500 where the links to other switches were not trunks and the interface on the 4500 had a voice vlan configured. It crashed the whole network because the other switches (mostly 3560's) went err-disable on those interfaces.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    redwarriorredwarrior Member Posts: 285
    The only thing I've ever heard similar to this is that you can have issues with the stability of VPN tunnels between two ASA's if the OS versions are too far off. To me, though, the OS running on an ASA is a lot different than most IOS versions though, in terms of level of complexity and the number of issues I've seen with certain releases, but then I haven't dealt with some of the more complex router IOS version, either. :D

CCNP Progress

ONT, ISCW, BCMSN - DONE

BSCI - In Progress

http://www.redwarriornet.com/ <--My Cisco Blog