Webcam Security System

SilentsoulSilentsoul Member Posts: 260
So I am currently packing for a move, and last night I was trying to think of a new project that wouldn't be to crazy expensive but would be fun to do, I could mess with constantly and people would dig. Let me first say, I am moving out of the ghetto into a very nice apartment complex, so all the more reason to do it now icon_rolleyes.gif

Linux Web cam security system!

I am thinking one linux CLI server with one of the many programs they have for this. They even have some that detect motion which is probably what I will go with.

So my question is.

Any of you guys doing this??

Any ideas? Think it's dumb? Let me know. I am not a big fan of trendnet product but I see good things about this one:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/485390-REG/Trendnet_TV_IP100_TV_IP100_Internet_Camera_Server.html

Give me some ideas, or tell me i'm dumb and shouldn't do it!

Comments

• GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    Its a project I have been wanting to do but keep putting off. Just a camera point out towards my car/street, and maybe one inside. Are you looking at wireless cams? USB only goes so far. I would want the computer to be located on my rack I think.
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    GT-Rob wrote:
    Just a camera point out towards my car/street
    Don't know about Canada but you're not allowed to do that in the UK. Having CCTV pointing at a public area is not legal. You need to have a permit and put up signs etc...
    Oh and as GT-Rob pointed out, you'd want to put the recording server somewhere safe. Not much point if the server + camera gets stolen along with the rest of your stuff!

A few people have done it so that it'll email the pics elsewhere when it detects motion and keeps some remote server with the last hour or whatever worth of snapshots.
  • GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    Even if the cam is located inside the house? Hmm ya it would need to be looked into. I wonder if I point it at my front lawn, since that is 'my' property. Im more worried about hit&runs on my car since I have to park on the street.

PS this seems like a decent deal

http://www.x10.com/promotions/xx16a_as_cam_41806_promo_vcr_2_0418_home.html
  • SilentsoulSilentsoul Member Posts: 260
    I know the feeling had a hit and run in the parking lot of my apartment complex, worst day ever! I am looking at ethernet so i can look at POE if I so decide, probably 1 looking at the front door and another inside. Linux server probably and using ftp to upload the files to an online/ offshore account, maybe a server at a family memebers house, or work :)
    GT-Rob wrote:
    Even if the cam is located inside the house? Hmm ya it would need to be looked into. I wonder if I point it at my front lawn, since that is 'my' property. Im more worried about hit&runs on my car since I have to park on the street.
    If you can only see your lawn and none of the sidewalk/road then it'd be okay.
    GT-Rob wrote:
    Ewww X10. 2.4GHz video sender technology so if you've got WiFi nearby then it'll suck.
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    tiersten wrote:
    GT-Rob wrote:
    Don't know about Canada but you're not allowed to do that in the UK. Having CCTV pointing at a public area is not legal. You need to have a permit and put up signs etc...
    That's funny, I guess the government there likes to keep a monopoly; since I've never seen as many CCTV cameras as I do in London. ;)
    If you want an IP camera then I recommend Axis ones. Expensive though...
    astorrs wrote:
    tiersten wrote:
    GT-Rob wrote:
    That's funny, I guess the government there likes to keep a monopoly; since I've never seen as many CCTV cameras as I do in London. ;)
    Apparently we've got the worlds highest number of CCTV cameras per square mile or something in London.
    I would like to keep the cameras under 100 dollars each, no more than 120. Glad to see I am not the only one with an interest in this, after i get moved and start the work I will do what I can to keep you guys updated, just dont let me slack off and forget.
  • roswaldroswald Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Axis cameras are pretty good quality if you could find refurb or used ones. That first one you linked isn't terrible, but the resolution at those framerates is pretty bad. I'd try to find one with at least CIF resolution at around 20fps if you want to be able to see anything.

As far as the head end of the system goes, check out ZoneMinder. It offers a lot of functionality and some really advanced features and it's open source. I've worked with a lot of different high end CCTV IP-camera systems, and ZoneMinder can hold it's own against a lot of the features.
  • win2k8win2k8 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 262
    why not put the camera in your car? not sure how it would connect back your linux server, maybe wireless or something i dunno.

Just a thoery, hehe...

win2k4
  • win2k8win2k8 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 262
    http://www.x10.com/key_products/car-camera.htm
    I found that link online its an outside camera really tiny, not sure if this legal though i would call your local non-emergency police number and ask them if its legal or not before using.

win2k4
    i appreciate all the comments, I will not be looking very far 10-15 feet tops. The first camera will probably be inside looking out a window at the door to apartment. The second one will be inside monitoring the interior.

I have been looking at zone minder, i appreciate the heads up on it. Any ideas where to get some refurb axis cams? Also give me the dummies heads up on CIF reso. I read it is 352x288 so what happens when i blow that up bigger?
    Thanks again
  • roswaldroswald Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    TBH I don't really know much about the details, but CIF is just a format for describing the resolution that's easily converted into a PAL/NTSC standard. As in - It makes the video look good on standard screens by using the correct pixels and aspect ratio.

For a CIF picture, there are 352 by 288 pixels so if you try to make it bigger, the image will be grainy and pixelated as you zoom in. In my experience, it's best to have a higher resolution camera at a lower framerate.

Dunno what to tell you for a camera under $100, but this D-Link one is better than the first one you were looking at, and has VGA resolution at 15fps:

http://www.compsource.com/pn/DCS910/D-Link_139/

I plan on setting something like this up someday - it's relatively easy and would definately be fun to play with. It reminds me of a few years ago when I had a webcam set up in my dorm room to record on motion, and I taped over the LED so it looked like it was off - that led to some pretty awesome stories ... but I won't talk about em. icon_wink.gif

Let us know if ya find any other deals.