Options

What Could Drag You Away From IT?

SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
I've talked a lot about my plans for school on the forum in the last few months. Lately, though, I've gotten a loaded question: why that, why don't you stay in IT?

Well, I've been giving it some thought, and I think I have an answer. All my life, I've always loved the sciences and I've had an affinity for working with my hands. This means that I've always wanted a job where I can blow things up and call it progress. I've had my inspirations, and I thought long and hard about going right into studying physics. I watched a lot of cartoons as a kid, as well as other TV shows which eventually led me down the road to look into engineering. What can I say, I've never been one for doing "normal" things. I'm hoping to be a proper madboy, as I'm sure most of you have guessed by now. I even plan on having the proper attire this Halloween. (If you haven't checked out Dr. Horrible, check it out. Seriously.)

So, I've always wanted to be a mad scientist/engineer. What profession (or other activity) would you be doing right now if IT was only a hobby, and not a full-time gig, and why?

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.

Comments

• Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Good question Slowhand :)

Painting/drawing & Photography, no question of a doubt, I used to love doing it and if money was no concern it is what I would do every day of my life :)
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    IT is my last home - I will be here until retirement.

I am however a whole lot older than most around here and have had a few different careers starting with professional motorcycle test rider to being the executive chef and then catering manager at a large catering company. Happy to now cruise along with 8.30-5 days Mon to Fri icon_cool.gif
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
    Hi

I doubt i will be entering a new career path in the next 20 years, if i am luky i will move abroad to somewhere sunny and do IT over there if need be

Only 1 think would sway me from IT and thats bein a pron star icon_lol.gif

Lee H
  • Options
    LarryDaManLarryDaMan Member Posts: 797
    I still hold on to the desire to be a sportswriter.

I did some local stuff just freelancing, and I loved it. If I hit the lottery, I would work for free as a sportwriter. I am a news and sports junkie and I am confident I could be good. Problem is, a lot of guys also think they would be good. There are so many "experts" on sports and fantasy sports out there on the web, that the market is saturated... making it difficult to stand out.

You have to be willing to work for 25k a year covering highschool field hockey and things like that for a local paper. That is the best way to get started, but man my family would starve on 25k!
  • Options
    KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've always pondered becoming a doctor or biologist after IT. icon_lol.gif

Dunno, might happen. icon_eek.gif
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
  • Options
    IT ManIT Man Member Posts: 159
    Slowhand wrote:
    I've talked a lot about my plans for school on the forum in the last few months. Lately, though, I've gotten a loaded question: why that, why don't you stay in IT?

Well, I've been giving it some thought, and I think I have an answer. All my life, I've always loved the sciences and I've had an affinity for working with my hands. This means that I've always wanted a job where I can blow things up and call it progress. I've had my inspirations, and I thought long and hard about going right into studying physics. I watched a lot of cartoons as a kid, as well as other TV shows which eventually led me down the road to look into engineering. What can I say, I've never been one for doing "normal" things. I'm hoping to be a proper madboy, as I'm sure most of you have guessed by now. I even plan on having the proper attire this Halloween. (If you haven't checked out Dr. Horrible, check it out. Seriously.)

So, I've always wanted to be a mad scientist/engineer. What profession (or other activity) would you be doing right now if IT was only a hobby, and not a full-time gig, and why?

I agree with you Slowhand, I have always loved the sciences. My Bachelors degree is actually in physics and I have had the luxury of doing different types of research. Computers was like a hobby of mine in college that I never really thought would become my career. After college, I realized I didn't love physics as much as I thought I did and got a job doing tech support for a software company. I don't see anything pulling me away from this field, I love what I do and I like being challenged. I assume when I start getting bored, maybe I should look towards management.
    Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll still land among the stars. - Les Brown
  • Options
    jbrown414jbrown414 Member Posts: 230
    Two words, p0rn star. icon_lol.gif

But seriously. My only other dream was to be a professional hockey player. I lack the pro level talent and not getting any younger so IT is kind of it for me.
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Pash wrote:
    Good question Slowhand :)

Painting/drawing & Photography, no question of a doubt, I used to love doing it and if money was no concern it is what I would do every day of my life :)

+1 +2 +3

Well minus the photography part, as I'm a horrible photographer oddly enough. I pretty much only use a camera to take reference pictures. And sometimes even those need help.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
    later in my career i'll probably be more interested in the management end and more of a higher level of IT as opposed to the lower level tech stuff. right now i still really enjoy that part though
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    Teaching...

Run for public office...

If I were good enough at it, professional musician, but I suck, so... icon_lol.gif
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    cgrimaldocgrimaldo Member Posts: 439 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would love to just do research all day long. Something in the sciences, advanced technology area would be great.
  • Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I think in a few years I'll go back & get a degree in Nutrition & the likes. icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    slinuxuzerslinuxuzer Member Posts: 665 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Pro Gambling, + 10,383 last year playing under 450 hours at low low limits. What keeps me from playing poker for living? Health insurance, benefits, steady pay.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    gojericho0 wrote:
    later in my career i'll probably be more interested in the management end and more of a higher level of IT as opposed to the lower level tech stuff. right now i still really enjoy that part though

+1

Possibly becoming a trainer before, after, or instead of management.

For something completely different, I think it'd be fun to do comedy writing.

Oh, and HP, you'd definitely get my vote icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    HeroPsycho wrote:
    Teaching...

Run for public office...

If I were good enough at it, professional musician, but I suck, so... icon_lol.gif

+1 on all three.

I'd like to teach eventually as I really enjoy sharing knowledge (I think most of here do which is why we frequent these boards).

Public office has been something that has always intrigued me as well. I have a few contacts in local politics back home and I think I may become more involved if/when I move back.

I've always wanted to be a musician, and I am a pretty good trumpet player. I have just never had the time to put in to take the next step.

I really enjoy what I do right now and don't see myself making any kind of move anytime soon, but like most things I will probably get board of engineer work and have to move on.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    dynamik wrote:
    For something completely different, I think it'd be fun to do comedy writing.

Oh, and HP, you'd definitely get my vote icon_cool.gif

A. You get my vote for referencing Monty Python while saying you'd like to do comedic writing. You have high goals and good taste, my friend!

B. I'm glad I'd get your vote for "Loon of the Year"! icon_lol.gif
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    rbutturinirbutturini Member Posts: 123
    I'd really like to create a TV show...Maybe one about working in IT, but a little more centered than "The IT crowd".
  • Options
    GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    ALMS

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Le_Mans_Series

There is no career in racing though.

"You know how to make a small fortune in racing? Start with a big one"
  • Options
    mzgavcmzgavc Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Day Trading

If I won the lottery?

I'd go flip burgers at Burger King.
  • Options
    rbutturinirbutturini Member Posts: 123
    GT-Rob wrote:
    ALMS

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Le_Mans_Series

There is no career in racing though.

"You know how to make a small fortune in racing? Start with a big one"

If you're posting on this forum, then you're not redneck enough to make a career in racing...Excluding the pretty boys on Hendrick's team!
    :D
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    I'd love to be a chef but the pay is staggeringly awfull. (it's really quite appauling what they get paid considering what they can do) Same as carpentry making good quality garden furniture but again, the pay is not guarenteed especially coming into a recession.

When offered the data centre comms manager job I am in now, it really was a 50/50 toss of a coin whether I got out of the industry all together after 15 years from the bottom up. It really can get to be the same thing day after day and if I had to reset one more password I would scream, but the comms job is very interesting and luckily paying the bills in these uncertain times.
    Kam.
  • Options
    Tyrant1919Tyrant1919 Member Posts: 519 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Join the USAF again, but only if I could carry the nuclear football eventually for no less than 6 months.
    A+/N+/S+/L+/Svr+
    MCSA:03/08/12/16 MCSE:03s/EA08/Core Infra
    CCNA