Options

PLEASE HELP ME

toputopu Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
icon_eek.gif

Hi,

I bought two 2501 router one 2900 switch and two pc with windows xp to make my ccna lab. Now I am struggling more then a month to build my home network.
I have connected my HosA(ip address 192.168.11.3/24) to the switch with ethernet cable. The switch (vlan1 interface 192.168.11.2/24 default gateway 192.168.11.1/24) is connected to RouterA with a ehternet connection(ip add 192.168.11.1/24) and RouterA connected to RouterB with Serial0 interface (ip add 192.168.22.6/24). HostB (ip add 192.168.33.2/24) connected to RouterB with ethernet interface (ip add 192.168.33.1).

My problem is I cant ping my default gate and router from hostA. All I can do just telnet my Swtich. could you please tell me why cant I ping my routerA and the default gateway from hostA.

any help will be appriciated.....

thanks

Comments

• Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    topu wrote:
    My problem is I cant ping my default gate and router from hostA.
    thanks

Your default gateway is router A, not the switch VLAN interface.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    thanks for your advice. That means I need to give an IP address for router itself. I thought I can use interface ip address as a default gatway address. If I have to give an IP address for Router could you please advice me how can I do that. I know how to configure ip address for Interface but not router itself. I know I am sounding like a stupid, I am a bigginer, I am reall sorry to be a stupid.... icon_cry.gif

thanks
  • Options
    GaugeGauge Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You need to give an IP to the interface on the router, not the router itself. Here are the commands to do so:
    Router> enable
    Router# configure terminal
    Router(config)# int Fa0/0
    Router(config-if)# ip address 192.168.11.1 255.255.255.0
    Router(config-if)# no shut

This might not be of any help to you because you already listed this IP as being on the router, so you might've already done this.
  • Options
    iwormsiworms Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Can you ping 192.168.11.1 from the switch?
  • Options
    iworms wrote:
    Can you ping 192.168.11.1 from the switch?

no I can't ping 192.168.11.1 from my switch either....
  • Options
    Ok I want do build my netwrok from scratch again... Is there any one can help me...

I have got :

Two 2501 Router
    one 2900 switch
    two PC with windows xp
    and my laptop with windows vista

Is there any one can help me to build my network again......I need IP addresses and connectivity sequence (how the devices will connected to each other) for my whole network. I want to connect Internet through my router. If any one there can help me please do so....

I will appriciate your help....

thanks
  • Options
    Make sure your cables are the right types.

PC to switch: straight through
    Switch to router: straight through
    PC to router: crossover
    Switch to switch: crossover

Try one router-switch-pc set first. Your 192.168.11.0 addresses are fine. Make sure at the router under the Ethernet interface you have ip address 192.168.11.1 255.255.255.0 and no shutdown or ip access-group ...

At the switch, for now, turn both the PC and the router ports into switchport mode access and spanning-tree portfast. If you can ping the router from the switch now, then you should be able to ping from the PC. Otherwise, try posting the router and switch configs here.
  • Options
    iworms wrote:

Try one router-switch-pc set first. Your 192.168.11.0 addresses are fine. Make sure at the router under the Ethernet interface you have ip address 192.168.11.1 255.255.255.0 and no shutdown or ip access-group ...

At the switch, for now, turn both the PC and the router ports into switchport mode access and spanning-tree portfast. If you can ping the router from the switch now, then you should be able to ping from the PC. Otherwise, try posting the router and switch configs here.

thanks for your help. one part of my network working fine but other is not working at all. I have connected my HostA to switch and switch to RouterA, this part of network is working good. But the problem is other side where HostB connected to routerB through a Ethernet cable is not working. could you please tell me the possible reason for it.I have configure IP address and RIP2 in the routerB but still network is down on hostB.
  • Options
    iworms wrote:

thanks for your help. one part of my network working fine but other is not working at all. I have connected my HostA to switch and switch to RouterA, this part of network is working good. But the problem is other side where HostB connected to routerB through a Ethernet cable is not working. could you please tell me the possible reason for it.I have configure IP address and RIP2 in the routerB but still network is down on hostB.
  • Options
    (I don't know how much you know, so I'll assume the least.)

How exactly is network down on hostB? In "Network Connections" in Windows on hostB, does it say "Connected" or "Disconnected"? If disconnected then you probably don't have a crossover cable between the PC and the router (see my last post on when to use crossover). Go to a store where they sell Category 5 (Ethernet) cables, and find one that says "crossover" on the packaging.

If cabling is not the problem, please describe the "symptoms" on hostB a bit more. Good luck.
  • Options
    When I am doing, show IP interface brief its showing me connection is up but protocol is down. That mean my cables are connected fine but the problem with my logical lable, i mean protocol. could you please tell me what could be the reasons for protocol down. as I mentioned, I have configured RIP2 in router.
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Do you have a link light on the router and the PC? If it's a serial interface, are you using a DCE to DTE cable? Is it install correctly (they can be plugged in upside down), did you set a clock rate?
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    /usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
    Please don't take this the wrong way...but if you can't build a simple lab setup like this, you need to practice it on your own until you do.

You will understand it much better if you figure out why your lab isn't working properly, as opposed to having folks tell you have to setup one properly.

Just my 2 cents.
  • Options
    /usr wrote:
    Please don't take this the wrong way...but if you can't build a simple lab setup like this, you need to practice it on your own until you do.

You will understand it much better if you figure out why your lab isn't working properly, as opposed to having folks tell you have to setup one properly.

Just my 2 cents.

thanks for your valuable advice.. I made it.. I really appriciate your advice.... it was great....
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    topu wrote:
    /usr wrote:

Just my 2 cents.

thanks for your valuable advice.. I made it.. I really appriciate your advice.... it was great....
    It was good advice actually.
  • Options
    ashrafneoashrafneo Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I seriously hope you figure it out soon enough, but it is way better to understand why your network wasn't working before and you still haven't said you think it is working now. So stop being ignorant, and listen to the man.

EDIT: Man or woman.