Options

BCMSN Down

jezg76jezg76 Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hardest one for me, but, by far, the most useful for my working environment. What killed me was Voice and Wireless. Not having the gear made it tough to really nail those concepts.

I had an 875, which, as always, disappoints me a bit, but life will go on. Here was my breakdown:
Implement VLANs                                                               100%
Conduct the operation of Spanning Tree protocols in a hierarchial network      88%
Implement Inter-VLAN routing                                                   80%
Implement gateway redundancy technologies                                     100%
Describe and configure wireless client access                                  70%
Describe and configure security features in a switched network                 71%
Configure support for voice                                                    66%

I had zero wireless equipment, which is never good and some of the questions were off the wall. Voice was kind of the same. A whole lot of concepts and theory with little hands-on. Never good...

The kick in the balls was the 71 on security features. I felt really good on that area, but tanked it. Lots of stuff I need go back over. But, I actually know how to configure a VLAN access-map after never hearing of them before diving face first into this material 3 months ago. That, my friends, is what it's all about. :P

So, I am on pace. Got my CCNA in mid-December 07 and made it a goal to get the NP before 2008 turns into the New Year. BSCI in March. ISCW in June. BCMSN in September. All that's left is the ONT, which, frightens me a bit, being that it seems to be a whole lot of Voice and Wireless, which, as you could see earlier, might not be good for me. :D

Anyway, thanks for listening, and, as always, many thanks to the excellent posts on these forums to help a brotha through this.

Oh, I used the Cisco Authorized Self-Study Guide, Official Exam Cert Guide, CBTNuggets (That Jeremi dude cracks me up, especially when he goes crazy about the Cisco Wireless alien game), and the Cisco website.

Wish me luck on the ONT!

One other question for the masses...

I am thinking CCIP after this baby is done, so, since I have the BSCI and BCMSN in the bag, I was thinking QoS after ONT. How feasible is it to study both at the same time? I am not a robot brainiac by any means who can swallow all this stuff a regurgitate it like the chick from Excorist, but I am curious how much bleed over there is. Forgive me for not looking in depth at the QoS material, but I always enjoys stories from those with experience.

Later!
policy-map type inspect TACO
class type inspect BELL
drop log

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Why are you feeling so bad about an 875? That seems like a solid score. I'm not sure how many questions are on this one, but you probably only missed 6 or 7. Maybe you just rushed a little and misread some questions. Mistakes happen. Why beat yourself up over a great score on a difficult exam? Congratulations!
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Congrats!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations! icon_thumright.gif

If you're still feeling bad about your score tomorrow, grab some beer, your score report, and the exam blueprint, and hit up the Cisco Documentation until you feel you've got your weak topics covered. :D
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    liquid6liquid6 Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    way to nail that one down! good luck on your studying...
    blog.insomniacnetwork.com
  • Options
    APAAPA Member Posts: 959
    Well done :)

Got ONT left myself and I am studying for QoS exam at the same time... I believe it is doable!!! :)

good luck!

CCNA | CCNA:Security | CCNP | CCIP
    JNCIA:JUNOS | JNCIA:EX | JNCIS:ENT | JNCIS:SEC
    JNCIS:SP | JNCIP:SP
  • Options
    miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    Congrats
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
  • Options
    CGN_SpecCGN_Spec Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations!
  • Options
    PlazmaPlazma Member Posts: 503
    Congrats man! I was told by a few people the BCMSN was a harder test in a lot of ways than the BSCI.. and I would have to agree. The BSCI just had a lot of pure relevant stuff.. and it was mind numbing afterward.. however the BCMSN was more of an "annoying" type of difficulty. In my opinion they asked a LOT of obscure annoying things about some topics that probably shouldn't be included in that test at all.. where as the BSCI if you missed it.. you simply didn't know it.. there was no obscurity on that test.
    CCIE - COMPLETED!
  • Options
    redwarriorredwarrior Member Posts: 285
    Congratulations on your pass! I'm always fond of saying, "A pass is a pass." Will you really remember what your scores were a year from now? Besides, I'm sure you'll fill in all those gaps when you're studying for your CCIE. icon_cool.gif

Good luck with your next exam!

CCNP Progress

ONT, ISCW, BCMSN - DONE

BSCI - In Progress

http://www.redwarriornet.com/ <--My Cisco Blog
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    Congrats on the pass!!
  • Options
    jezg76jezg76 Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I want to thank you all for the congrats thrown in my direction. It is greatly appreciated.
    policy-map type inspect TACO
    class type inspect BELL
    drop log
  • Options
    ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass...QoS would be a pretty logical progression from ONT so as long as you don't confuse/overwhelm yourself, go for it!

I agree with Mike's suggestion, too! icon_wink.gif:)
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    congrats man and that is a good score.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    Deltah_Deltah_ Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    No one can tell you what questions were on the exam so you shouldn't ask.

If you read the exam blue print you will find this:

Describe and configure security features in a switched network.

* Describe common Layer 2 network attacks (e.g., MAC Flooding, Rogue Devices, VLAN Hopping, DHCP Spoofing, etc.)

* Explain and configure Port Security,802.1x, VACLs, Private VLANs, DHCP Snooping, and DAI.

* Verify Catalyst switch (IOS-based) security configurations (i.e., Port Security, 802.1x, VACLs, Private VLANs, DHCP Snooping, and DAI).

Good luck with your exam!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.