Options

Block embedded videos in IE?

EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
Was wondering if there was a way to block embedded videos in XP or IE. I know you can "block" websites using the hosts file, but can I block any websites that have embedded video content without using any firewalls? Your thoughts please.
NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com

Comments

• Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,039 Admin
    In FireFox, there are add-ons that blocks the downloading/playing of any Flash videos until you click on it. I assume similar add-ons exist for IE.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    What are you trying to achieve? Bandwidth conservation?
  • Options
    rbutturinirbutturini Member Posts: 123
    I'm pretty sure there's some group policy wizardry you can do to acheive that by blocking particular third-party addins, if it's something you're looking to do on an organization-wide basis.
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    dynamik wrote:

Precisely. This is for home though, my internet usage gets used up very quickly.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,039 Admin
    It looks like this IE7 add-on will do what you need. It will also limit connections to ad sites and other servers that want to eat your monthly bandwidth allotment as well. I also highly recommend using the HOSTS file manager Hostsman to block connections to ads, spam, and Malware sites. I use it on all my Windows machines.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    MobilOne wrote:
    dynamik wrote:

Precisely. This is for home though, my internet usage gets used up very quickly.

Maybe look into ClarkConnect. Some pretty neat stuff in there, but I've not played with it, only downloaded it and hope to set it up in the next week or two (darn construction projects keep getting in the way of setting up a box and configuring it at home). icon_confused.gif

I do know there is some bandwidth throttling sort of settings so maybe that will be of use for you?
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?