Options

So if Ebay shuts down...

TalicTalic Member Posts: 423
Where are you guys planning on buying from? I haven't bought from ebay (lack of a stable job and wanting new things rather then used) but I think I may enter the fray looking for Cisco equipment if I get the job I'm applying for.

I was really disappointed when searching for Cisco routers, there was only the guys from Ciscokits and some overpriced single routers, not the cheap kits that I heard about.

So to my point, do you guys notice the lack of merchandise due to fewer sellers and higher prices? Are you guys going to move to Craigslist or hope a new auction site will take Ebay's place?

Comments

• Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Ebay was and still is exactly what it intends to be - an online auction house. I doubt very much that people will stop using it and I for one will continue to use it when the needs arrise. There is not just cisco gear that is auctioned :)

There are probably several factors to why second hand cisco equipment costs a fair amount. Here is a couple:-

1. There is a huge influx of people wanting to take Cisco exams currently, they see it as a stepping stone to a job in networking - which is exactly what it is.

2. The people who can supply second hand cisco gear at the moment, realize they can rise their prices based on demand.

You really need to keep your eye out if your gonna get a good price on what your after, look out for the close ending bids and then add that seller to your faves list, it means you can browse future auctions by these chaps in the hope of picking up better deals.

Cheers,
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    BeaverC32BeaverC32 Member Posts: 670 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Did I miss something? What leads you to believe eBay may shut down, or is this just a random "what if..." scenario?
    MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, LPIC-1, MCP, MCTS: Vista Config, MCTS: SQL Server 2005, CCNA, A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Linux+, BSCS (Information Systems)
  • Options
    Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    If ebay shuts down,

i'll continue to use dynamips/dynagen.

For switches and some stuff i'd be screwed. but it'd be cheaper. (wish someone would have made me use dynamips before i started buying equipment.)
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Darthn3ss wrote:
    If ebay shuts down,

i'll continue to use dynamips/dynagen.

Dynamips / PEMU / GNS3 - the holy trinity of cheap Cisco geekness :)
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    BeaverC32 wrote:
    Did I miss something? What leads you to believe eBay may shut down, or is this just a random "what if..." scenario?

+1 what's up with ebay? Ive had good success with craigslist, but ebay has its place as well.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    snadam wrote:
    BeaverC32 wrote:

+1 what's up with ebay? Ive had good success with craigslist, but ebay has its place as well.

No doubt. I know the market is bad....but have some optimism that not all companies are going to follow in the footsteps of Merrill Lynch, Lehman Brothers, Fannie Mae, Freddy Mac, AIG, Countrywide....Oh NO! SELL, SELL! Every company is going under. icon_rolleyes.gif

What irony if ebay does go under while selling bankrupt companies memorabilia

Seriously though, I've used both Ebay and Craigslist to sell and buy random stuff.
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)
  • Options
    Vogon PoetVogon Poet Member Posts: 291
    I don't think eBay is in shutdown danger, but note the following titled "Ebay deteriorating - mass layoffs expected."

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/09/15/ebay-deteriorating-mass-layoffs

Lots of sellers have become sick of constant tweaking of the selling costs.
    No matter how paranoid you are, you're not paranoid enough.
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The inquirer is known to be one of the most unreliable places for reputable information.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I use eBay to predict when a company is going bankrupt, when I see a company selling office furniture on eBay I know it's over!
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The Inquirer sucks, but I'm not going to argue with people thinking that eBay's deteriorating. It's been pretty bad for awhile. It worked the best when it was just people selling things, but the power sellers have really ruined things. Plus, their customer service sucks. I've had a few buy-it-now auctions be completed just minutes after I posted them by some scammer. All I had to do was send the item off to him and he'd send me a check icon_rolleyes.gif I just gave up on trying to get refunds for those since the amount of time it was taking wasn't worth the amount I lost. I really haven't used it much for anything after that, with the exception of a few pieces of Cisco gear.
  • Options
    TalicTalic Member Posts: 423
    BeaverC32 wrote:

Ah yeah I should of posted some links

http://www.dailytech.com/Angry+Sellers+Finding+New+Happiness+on+Sites+Outside+eBay/article12655.htm

http://www.dailytech.com/Big+Changes++EBay+Shifting+From+Auctions+to+Fixed+Prices/article12734.htm

I probably went a little overboard when saying if ebay shuts down but it looks like there would be a lot less people selling stuff there.

Is there a reason chraig's list is more hostile of a place to purchase Cisco gear compared to ebay? If you ask me it might be safer since you can see the gear in person if you live in the same city.
  • Options
    GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    eBay was trading at close to $42 a year ago, and now is at $22 a share. Regardless of the news source, thats a big hit.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,039 Admin
    GT-Rob wrote:
    eBay was trading at close to $42 a year ago, and now is at $22 a share. Regardless of the news source, thats a big hit.
    Have you seen the stock market lately? Dell has taken a beating this year too, but it's not going anywhere. eBay just needs to avoid stupid purchases--like Skype.