Options

Some info for various NOS server client interconnectivity.

illogosillogos Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
Had somebody ask in private message for some details on this. I could not find anything that went into the matter in study guides(didn't look all that hard). It is covered in Meyer's all in one...chapter 19. Also in Exam Cram 2 to a lesser extent. Thought I would paste my reply to the person so that others could benifit.

Going to be quick with minor detail. You don't need great depth on this stuff anyway.

Linux/Unix use ext2 for partitioning of hard drives. They use NFS(Network File System) for shares.

NT/2000 uses NTFS/Fat16/Fat32(32 for 2000 only) for partitioning. 9x/ME uses Fat16/32. They all use SMB for shares. On NT/2000 if you format with FAT16/FAT32 you can only set permissions on the share level!! You cannot set file permissions unless you use NTFS. Thus they are called NTFS permissions. These are similar in name(but NOT in function) as the NetWare object rights.

Macs use AppleShare for file shares.

Each of the above(appleshare, NFS, SMB) operate in the upper 3 layers of the OSI model. NetWare uses NCP(Netware Control Protocol) for file shares. File shares is a misnomer as it also includes print shares.

Samba is run on linux/unix to enable the use of SMB. Thus the linux/unix machines will appear like a windows client in Network Neighborhood etc. Samba must be configured on each linux/unix system that you want to share. Print shares are handled via use of LPD/LPR(TCP/IP suite protocols called Line Print Daemon and Line Print Remote...Daemon is on the server). Linux natively supports TCP/IP.

MWSU(Microsoft Windows Services for Unix) is an addon service to server versions of NT/2000(aka file services for unix) that enables NFS on windows. Thus Windows looks like a linux/unix share. 9x/ME and normal versions of NT/2000 need an addon NFS client software to do the same. MWSU for NT/2000 server also includes GSFU(Gateway Services For Unix) This enables a windows server to take requests from a windows client to access the Linux/Unix server. It acts as an intermediary so that no client software is needed on the windows client. Different versions of windows install different protocols by default. I leave you to look that up.

NetWare tidbits. NetWare supports IPX/SPX in all version for compatibility. Starting with NetWare 4.x TCP/IP is supported via encapsulation. Native support of TCP/IP shows up in 5.x+. In addition NetWare 3.x uses something called the Bindery. Starting in 4.x and up you see NDS. CSNW is Client Services for NetWare for windows clients. This is the Microsoft client, and is very limited. It only supports connecting to a NetWare server via IPX/SPX. Also, it does NOT support NDS fully. The better option is to use Client32 by Novell(aka Novell Client for Windows). FSNW is File Services for NetWare. This enables a Windows Server to function as a NetWare server in terms of shares and access. Any netware client can then access it without needing client for microsoft networks. GSNW is Gateway services for NetWare. Like that for unix, it acts as a go between. Thus a windows client does not need a NetWare client to access the NetWare server. It makes requests to the Windows server, and the Windows server handles the rest. Macs need 3rd party client software to use a NetWare server. Novell makes clients for the other operating systems.

Print shares on NetWare are strange. The NOS only supports sharing a printer that is directly connected. However, it is the one exception of the NetWare clients ONLY act as clients and servers only act as servers. NetWare allows it's clients to run special print server software so that the client can share a connected printer. The software is necessary to share the printer.

AppleTalk....NT/2000 servers support it but you must install the AppleTalk protocol and the Microsoft Client for AppleTalk. Non-server versions and 9x/ME do not support it without 3rd party apps. AppleShare IP is such a program that runs on the Mac AND on the clients. Dave is a simpler program that runs only on the Mac. It is similar to what SAMBA is to linux/unix. OS X for Macs has native support for TCP/IP and NFS. Thus it can connect to a linux/unix server just fine.

Sidenote: Linux/UNIX has other ways to transfer files to windows. An easy way would be to just use a FTP server on the linux machine. If you need to control accounts, troubleshoot a webserver, etc you can use telnet to remote access.

NAS(Network Attached Storage) typcially runs TCP/IP and/or IPX/SPX. It uses SMB and/or NFS for shares.

Summarizing: To enable interconnectivity of NOS and clients you need to make sure to install the correct client software AND protocol. You need to ensure that it is configured properly.

Appendix on NetWare: When you setup the clietn32 you need to specifiy the NDS tree and context. You do not need to supply a user name and password until you actually attempt to log in. Also, NetWare 6 employs the e-directory. Understand partitions and replicators. Linux/Unix has native support for most of NetWare 6 without client software. It has something to do with how Novell changed the implementation. I don't have much detail on how/why though. It was a small blurb.

I think I covered everything important -- at least on the surface. Read questions carefully. You might get something like this: Client A only has these things installed : X X X. Server B was just added. Also, Server C was just added. Their protocols/clients are not installed on A. A needs to use BOTH B and C. What do you need to do? Or it might be A needs to use B but NOT C. Or A needs to use B and the WAN but not C. Etc, make sure you read carefully to see exactly what you need to add to client A. It's not really tricky provided you are careful. If you read to fast you could skip over something important and choose an answer that would be correct if the problem was worded differently.

It is a little unorganized. I think everything is accurate. If you see any problems or flaws in what I have let me know so I can edit it.

Comments