Options

ip bandwidth-percent eigrp

ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi,
I read that the ip bandwidth-percent eigrp [as] [percent] command should be issued on point-to-point interfaces to limit the amount of EIGRP traffic.
So the bandwidth command will only be used for route metric calculations?

Comments

• Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Yup, the higher level routing protocols just use bandwidth for route calculations, for EIGRP it's the formula:

metric = [K1*bandwidth + (K2*bandwidth)/(256 - load) + K3*delay] * [K5/(reliability + K4)]

The default values are K1, K3 = 1 and K2, K4, K5 = 0; and the last part (* [K5/(reliability + K4)]) is only used if K5 > 0.
  • Options
    scheistermeisterscheistermeister Member Posts: 748 ■□□□□□□□□□
    astorrs wrote:
    Yup, the higher level routing protocols just use bandwidth for route calculations, for EIGRP it's the formula:

metric = [K1*bandwidth + (K2*bandwidth)/(256 - load) + K3*delay] * [K5/(reliability + K4)]

The default values are K1, K3 = 1 and K2, K4, K5 = 0; and the last part (* [K5/(reliability + K4)]) is only used if K5 > 0.

To add to that the most common way I have seen ti make one route preferred over another (with just EIGRP) is to simply change the delay since both bandwidth and delay are static configurable variables.
    Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    To add to that the most common way I have seen ti make one route preferred over another (with just EIGRP) is to simply change the delay since both bandwidth and delay are static configurable variables.
    I used to do that all the time when I was doing networking in a partially meshed EIGRP environment. :)

There are 4 other ways mentioned here if anyone else is interested.
  • Options
    cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ccnpninja wrote:
    Hi,
    I read that the ip bandwidth-percent eigrp [as] [percent] command should be issued on point-to-point interfaces to limit the amount of EIGRP traffic.
    So the bandwidth command will only be used for route metric calculations?

Correct. The bandwidth command is only used in calculating routing metrics. I have seen people try to use this command to actually limit the bandwidth of an interface, which is not what it does. It does NOTHING to the actual speed of the interface...
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    EIGRP will use only the lowest bandwidth along the path to the destination so often changing the bandwidth may not have an effect. Delay is a better choice.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    thanks guys,
    do I need this formula for the BSCI exam?
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I'd suggest you know it. You should also know which values are used by default.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    I checked CBT Nuggets, Jeremy says we don't need the complete formula to be memorized.