Another RRAS question (from Transcender)

EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
You are the network administrator for your company. The corporate network contains a remote access server named Tampa-RRAS which runs Server 2003. IP addresses are assigned to remote access clients from a static pool, 192.168.11.1 through 192.168.11.254. The internal network consists of a single segment and contains from 10.11.12.1 through 10.11.12.254.

The remote users are able to connect ti Tampa-RRAS, but they cannot acccess any other computers on the network. You must ensure that they are able to do this.

1. Select Enable IP Routing on the IP tab of the Routing and Remote Access properties sheet.
2. Select Router and select LAN routing only on the General tab of the Routing and Remote Access properties sheet.
3. Select Router and select the LAN and demand-dial routing option on the General tab of the Routing and Remote Access properties sheet..
4. Configuring a routing protocol.

4. Routing protocol is not needed on a single segment.
3. Likely. This must be selected for remote access clients to be able to access the internal network.
2. This bans access to the internal network.
1. icon_confused.gif

Transcender says answer is 1. Again not a very clear explanation. Correct me if i am wrong, enabling IP Routing lets remote access clients to access the internal network but so does "LAN and DDR option" on the General tab. I thought that both these options are needed for LAN routing. James (from Nuggets) also said "Check both these boxes and you should be fine. Remote access clients will then be able to get in to the internal network." I wasnt aware of what these two items did individually. Help!
NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com

Comments

• astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    MobilOne wrote:
    1. Select Enable IP Routing on the IP tab of the Routing and Remote Access properties sheet.
    2. Select Router and select LAN routing only on the General tab of the Routing and Remote Access properties sheet.
    3. Select Router and select the LAN and demand-dial routing option on the General tab of the Routing and Remote Access properties sheet..
    4. Configuring a routing protocol.
    1. Required for any IP routing to occur, either for remote access or for LAN or WAN routing.

2. Required when acting as a LAN only router between two directly attached network segments.

3. Required when acting as a WAN router between two segments, either dial-up or site-to-site VPN for the WAN side.

4. N/A

Since neither 2 or 3 are required for remote access connections and 4 is a freebie, 1 is the correct answer as it is required for any routing between networks.
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Thanks for clearing that up, Andrew. Wont forget this in a hurry.

BTW, sorry for the sudden spate in questions. I have a scheduled showdown with the beast on Tuesday 9.30am my time. Brushing everything up. It's only IPSec that I am a bit worried about. I think I should know enough for the test from the other sections.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Always glad to help - especially if it can help others down the road too. I think it's great you're wanting clarification on the "why" - these kinds of things are built on in 293 so you'll be in great shape at this rate. :)

Good luck on Tuesday! icon_thumright.gif