Options

"10 minutes on a sim"

wat08wat08 Member Posts: 128
This rule seems a little excessive, no? If you're able to spend 10 minutes on one question I'd imagine the normal MC questions wouldn't be very "involved" since you've got 50+ of 'em to do.

How long did you take on your exam?

Comments

• Options
    cisco_troopercisco_trooper Member Posts: 1,441 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think my CCNA took about 35 minutes, but I'm really damn good at subnetting. I don't even have to think about it. I would expect it to take most people a little bit longer because I'm just nuts with numbers, always have been....
  • Options
    GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    MC questions are just one question each. You read it, look at the answers, pick one, and move on.

The sim is like several questions in one. Also, its not multiple choice, so you have to come up with the answer on your own. And there may be a couple of tasks to do in one sim question.

Which is why they take a bit longer.
  • Options
    miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    wat08 wrote:
    This rule seems a little excessive, no? If you're able to spend 10 minutes on one question I'd imagine the normal MC questions wouldn't be very "involved" since you've got 50+ of 'em to do.

How long did you take on your exam?

I only had 5 minutes to spare when I answered the last question. It was my first exam, and I was so involved in the task at hand, that I never even noticed that it was telling me in the corner of the screen how many quesitons were left. I noticed the clock and the questions on the screen, but somehow missed it.
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The only information Cisco has given out about how they score the exams is that the SIMS are worth more points (and you do get partial credit on the SIMs).

The 10 minutes is a guideline we give the noobs -- if you can't answer the SIM in 10 minutes you probably never will, so move on (and hope it was an ungraded trial question). If you can do a SIM and get all the points in less then 10 minutes -- do it.

I think I spent less than 4 minutes on my first SIM on my CCNA exam -- and that includes the time where I sat there asking myself "That's It? That's ALL they want?"

As you move up the Cisco Exam food chain, the SIMs do get a little more involved and require more commands, but they are still pretty simple when you think about what they could have asked you to do....

I think I averaged about a minute a question on almost all my exams -- except the CCIE Written exams where I go through the 100 multiple choice questions in 60-70 minutes.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!