Options

Cisco Unified Communications Graduate Fast Track Program?

A company called Touchbase is advertising for a Cisco Unified Communications Graduate Fast Track Program. Once in the program, it says that you'll be in a 52-week training program, mentored by Cisco experts all the while. I was also told that at the end of the program I would be at least the equivalent of a CCVP or higher, and my salary for the duration of the training would be 40k/yr (not very much for Denver, but not bad for training, either). The catch is that once/if you've passed all your tests and training, you'll go for a specified period of time to work where they need you, and you'll work for them. Seems a fair trade-off if legit.

One has to have at least a CCNA to apply for the program, and I was also told that out of 50 people, I was one of two people selected for this. I'm flattered that I would get the nod, but what makes me so special that I'm selected over everyone else is what I'm thinking.

I'm just very leery that it may be one of those scam companies wanting money up front or some other hidden penalty that you don't realize until you're there and it's too late. Has anyone heard of this company or program, and is it worth pursuing? I've sent out so many resumes and so much by word-of-mouth that I don't really know how they got in touch with me, but it could very well be valid. Here is the website URL for this: http://www.touchbaseglobal.com/show_careers.php?id=931

Thanks.
"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons." - Popular Mechanics, 1949

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Why don't you give their partners a call and see what they have to say about them: http://www.touchbaseglobal.com/partners.htm

Contact the guy/team that made their website, etc.

Hopefully it's legit and that works out for you. It sounds like the break you've been waiting for.
  • Options
    darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    The very best I've heard about companies that act as you said, is that they train you, then take a large percentage of your income for the next few years.

Ask yourself if they have people in the town that could be doing what they're asking instead of you travelling and why they would pick you instead.

Good luck, but I'd do some investigating. =)
  • Options
    damsel_in_tha_netdamsel_in_tha_net Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I saw this recently in my Cisco Partner search, and I sent it to a few friends. The opp is on their jobs website, but they did not specify a salary there.

If you read between the lines of the job opp , you're actually working there from day one, which is why they want you to have the CCNA...seems like your job role increases as your skills do, and the limit works both ways--they commit to mentoring you as long as you commit to doing the studies and taking the tests.

Then of course, they end up with a home-grown engineer, who is indoctrinated into their system, procedures, best practices, etc...right around the time that he/she is ready skill wise.

So one way to look at it is as this: You have a CCNA, you need a job, here's a 40k offer that happens to have major perks.

During one interview at a VAR I had a long time ago, the HR director said that it's always difficult hiring new engineers. You have 2 ways to go--an engineer who is newer, who may have the skills but not the experience, or an engineer with experience, of course from a competitor. With the "new" engineer, you can train them in your practices, not have to deal with residual bitterness/burnout/etc, but of course there's the thing of taking the chance. With the experienced engineer, just as much effort has to go into "untraining" them first....

So this program seems to give them the best of both worlds.

I am gearing for the CCIE Lab, and already have my VP/NP, but I would have jumped on this a year or two ago.

Good luck with your decision.