Options

Geeks-In-Route jobs

bhs00bhs00 Member Posts: 70 ■■□□□□□□□□
I saw an ad on Craigslist for a job paying $30 per hour for a PC technician. I emailed the company wanting to know more and the email I got back was from a company called Geeks-In-Route. Does anyone know anything about this company? It sounds kind of good. I make $26,000 now at a poultry plant keeping production PC's in good running order. It is kind of tempting. Also what about folks that do on-site printer or PC repair for companies like Dell. How would one get into that? And also would it be a step down for me to go into any jobs like this? I want to move up or at least sidways and definitely not down.

Comments

• Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    There are several companies like that. The big thing to check is it 30.00/hr for 8 hours OR 30/hr when you are at a customer's site? You may only get 2-3 jobs a day, or none in your area. Most of them are on-call companies. I'd check them out further.

There is a company in the Minneapolis area advertising for the same thing, claiming to be Dell warranty co. You get 25.00/hr only when on site, some reimbursement for mileage but you must have a vehicle that is less than 2 yrs old or you wont get the job.
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    I'm constantly getting e-mails trying to convince me to be a Dell field tech. At least in Phoenix they're basically just looking for warm bodies that can pass the DCSE exam, which is a really easy exam. Pure fact memorization, nothing else. The job is mostly just replacing parts so you wouldn't really get much troubleshooting experience. Maybe a little if the wrong part was dispatched and you wanted to give the customer a good experience. In my experience most field techs would just say sorry didn't work call Dell not our problem. Can't comment on the pay as I don't remember the numbers they were quoting me. The Geeks-In-Route one might be some good experience I would definitely recommend looking into that one.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    undomiel wrote:
    I'm constantly getting e-mails trying to convince me to be a Dell field tech. At least in Phoenix they're basically just looking for warm bodies that can pass the DCSE exam, which is a really easy exam. Pure fact memorization, nothing else. The job is mostly just replacing parts so you wouldn't really get much troubleshooting experience. Maybe a little if the wrong part was dispatched and you wanted to give the customer a good experience. In my experience most field techs would just say sorry didn't work call Dell not our problem. Can't comment on the pay as I don't remember the numbers they were quoting me. The Geeks-In-Route one might be some good experience I would definitely recommend looking into that one.

AZ isn't the only place where you get those emails...I get 2-3 a week and the pay is garbage icon_mad.gif
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    A couple of years ago I was desperate for work so I took the Dell field tech job. Very first day of the job before I had filled out any paper work or anything like that my car broke down and wouldn't start whatsoever. Talk about a solid answer from above that I shouldn't do that job. :D
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    TalicTalic Member Posts: 423
    People here in Las Vegas and California drive like they're nuts, I thought about doing some contracting/field work and decided against that because of how crazy people drive and I had a feeling I would get in a accident one day when driving that much. Even a guy I knew from back east was surprised at how bad people drive here. So you should probably consider that if they tell you to use your own car. Not to mention wear and tear from driving all over the place. I'm not sure how well people in Phoenix drive, I never went there but it isn't too far from here.
    must have a vehicle that is less than 2 yrs old or you wont get the job.

icon_lol.gif

I wouldn't use anything newer then 5 or 6 years if you ask me.
  • Options
    jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    undomiel wrote:
    A couple of years ago I was desperate for work so I took the Dell field tech job. Very first day of the job before I had filled out any paper work or anything like that my car broke down and wouldn't start whatsoever. Talk about a solid answer from above that I shouldn't do that job. :D

I interviewed with Dell this week and last week for a position called Multi Vendor Field Services (MVFS), one of the requirement is a MCSE, I was surprised to find out how good their benefits are, fully vested 401 K on your 1st day... not to mention the Gig will pay 85K, they are a very good company IMO.