home lab - use putty -> modem - > console/access serve

JohnDouglasJohnDouglas Member Posts: 186
Hi guys - just set up my home. at work we use putty to access everything. hyper terminal is killing me.

how can i rig up my home lab so that:

1. i can use putty
2. i can connect the access server to my broadband modem.

the modem has a 4 x rj45 ports; 1 to my pc. rj11 to the telephone line.

reason i want to connect the broadband modem to the home hub is:
1. simplicity (i'd prefer to avoid the usb console cable setup).
2. as the broadband modem also has wireless i'd be able to take the laptop somewhere quiet away from the relentless drone of 4 x 2811, 2511 and a 2900.

Thanks for any help

cheers

John

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Putty's a free a download: http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/download.html

All you'd have to do is setup telnet or ssh on your access server and connect to it with one of those.

Didn't you come across this material while working on your CCNA?
  • JohnDouglasJohnDouglas Member Posts: 186
    my scrapped pass in ccna's a distant memory now sadly.

okey dokey, so it is possible then and easy to do. i'll give it a go in the morning.
    Got the Access Server configured now and the whole lab pretty much cabled.

I can quite happily use Putty to get into the router via the USB port with a console cable plus dongle. I've configured the e0 with 192.168.1.5. I connected my home broadband router to the 2511 with a rolled cable. When I try to telnet using Putty to 192.168.1.5 I get nothing.

I am not doubt making a ridiculously silly mistake and should no better. What bone headed mistake am I making please?
    Did you setup telnet on the router?
    line vty 0 4 (or whatever you want the range to be)
    password <password>
    login

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    To connect your PC to the router ethernet port you need a crossover not rollover. The rollover is used for the console port.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
    thanks guys. chatting to one of the guys at work today about it. my bone headed move was trying to connect the linksys to the console. should be connecting to the aui port of course. had i actually bothered looking at the back of the router i'd have remembered. anyway, don't have a db9 connector at home so i'll have to wait till tomorrow when i can grab one from work. will confirm it works tomorrow so if anyone is as thick as me in future can dig up the solution one day.

anyway, got a few more wic's in the post today so will have a nearly complete lab.
    This thread should be made a sticky as to why hands-on experience is so important. You do not want to run into issues like these at a client site!

I'm glad you seem to have figured this out. Hopefully it's all smooth sailing from here on out.
  • darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    What are you using for an access server, btw? I haven't set up a home lab, yet.
    He's using a 2511. That's what I have too. You can go with a 2509 as well, but that'll connect to 8 devices instead of 16. You can also get nm-16a or nm-32a for routers that accept those:
    09186a0080182da5_guest-Cisco_3600_Series_Multiservice_Platforms-US-Service_Data_Sheet-EN_4-6.jpg
  • LBC90805LBC90805 Member Posts: 247
    Does Cisco make anything like the 2509 and 2511 any longer? When folks talk about access servers those are the only terms I hear thrown around.

The only piece of real Cisco equipment I have is a 2509 with a really old IOS on it. Someone from work kicked it down to me several months ago before he retired.

Also on a sadder note one of the techs through out 8 2521 NOS a month ago. They didn't have any asset tags on them and the people higher up didn't know what to do with them. The tech just got tired of looking at them and just tossed them one day. Not like the dude was a Cisco guy, he only ran and pulled telephone wires for a living. I about choked him when he told me that.
    Like I just posted above, you can get that add-in for compatible routers (they are newer than the 2500s). Unless you're really wanting to maximize space and need a router to be an access server and have a new IOS to do other tasks, the 2509s and 2511s are still quite good. All they're doing is sending a bit of text back and forth, and they can handle that fine.
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    I need another 2511 or a NM-32A. I've run out of ports!

The downside with a 2509 or 2511 is that they're way too slow to run SSH if that is important for you. They did test it out on one of the old IOS releases and it does work but it'll drive you nuts with the long connection delay and generally slowness.
    Most of the management network here is cisco3640s. Good return of console ports for the space the take up. Bloody loud and heavy though so you wouldn't want them at home as I found out. They all run IOS 11.x and have happily been up for years.
    dynamik wrote:
    This thread should be made a sticky as to why hands-on experience is so important. You do not want to run into issues like these at a client site!

I'm glad you seem to have figured this out. Hopefully it's all smooth sailing from here on out.

oh no, if this goes sticky people will be bringing it up when I'm a deca CCIE one day icon_lol.gif

anyway, thanks for peoples time. got this sorted now and to help others from sounding stupid in future here's the topology:

PC
    |
    straight through cable
    |
    Linksys broadband modem
    |
    straight through cable
    |
    transceiver (attach it to the cisco 2511)
    |
    aui port on 2511

configure ip address on e0 and finally, double check the rj45 plug hasn't slipped our of the linksys!

time to get some earplugs and look at some tabbed telnet clients.
    wow, this is great having your own lab. actually makes it fun (can't believe i'm saying that, i'm sure the novelty will wear off?!)

highly recommend it, if you can't beg borrow or steal the stuff from work then spend the dosh on ebay.
  • darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    Grats on getting it set up.

My problem is I don't want to buy any equipment because I have a hard time buying equipment I don't know I'll be able to use for further exams. The equipment I know I'll be able to use costs too much, so argh!