Options

Just passed Network + Exam

ajolinajolin Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
This was my first Certification exam and first exam in 12 years. I graduated from college as a programmer. I got a job as user support and worked my way up "self-taught" over the last 10 years. I was very unsure of my ability to pass a multiply choice exam. Anyway, the study notes on this site definitely helped. What held me up the most on the exam was the wording of those long descriptions about a problem.

I was wondering about what other members think about deciding on the next exam to take. I'm in the IT Systems Manager position and I would like to continue getting certifications that will benefit my job position the most.

1. Take the A+ (because A+ and Network+ count as an elective towards a MCSA certification

2. Security +

3. Project +

4. Server + (thinking having the A+ would be benefical)

Thanks for your ideas and suggestions.

Comments

• Options
    ajolinajolin Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Extra information on how I prepared for the Exam.

Used Smarter. Faster Certification to Network + (by microsoft press) Ok' honestly I read the book once, did the pratice tests, made lots of notes but didn't even open the book again. Instead, I downloaded both Cramsession and Techexams.net study notes and studied hard off of them for about 2 weeks. Then I took alot of practice questions and found Transender to be worthwhile providing the question structure. I used alot of sentence memory stuff to recall OSI, and all those lovely protocols. I probably studied about 40-60 hourse. Got 798.

Fyi,
  • Options
    STexamsSTexams Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass, and great score... icon_cool.gif

I personally think the A+ would be worth your time as a second cert and then off to the Microsoft races.
    Freddy
    Free Online Exams and Tutorials
    http://www.stexams.com
  • Options
    janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    Congrats on the pass!

A+ is good for the overall on your entry level certs.

Server+ is a good continuance of A+--advanced hardware. If you've spent a fair amount of time in the server room, you're the guy this cert was intended for and it's a natural migration for Net+ and A+.

Security is where everyone's attention is being drawn, so Security+ should be a good cert. You can also use Secrurity + as a substitute for a MS exam on the MCSA security specialization.

MCSA is a good goal for you, so it seems.

There are so many different certs and so little time. Best of luck on your decisions!
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • Options
    2lazybutsmart2lazybutsmart Member Posts: 1,119
    Congrats on the pass icon_thumright.gif
    Exquisite as a lily, illustrious as a full moon,
    Magnanimous as the ocean, persistent as time.