First day on the job...

loss4wordsloss4words Member Posts: 165 ■■■□□□□□□□
So tomorrow morning I start my first real job. What's it like on the first day? Is it mostly your boss/manager/whomever showing you around, meeting and greeting people, getting to know the company sort of thing or do you usually get into work right away? The organization I will be working for is really big consisting of 6 branches but all walking distance of each other. I've only been to one thus far. I have some idea of what's expected of me but I'm also not sure about some things they might have me do there. People I have met thus far have been really great and seem like a nice group of guys...

So, I guess share your experiences, suggestions, etc...Thanks.

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    It will probably be like you mentioned, a lot of showing you around and introducing you to people. You will most likely have to set up your work area and fill out some paper work. After that maybe sitting with a coworker to learn the ropes unless they have a more structured training program.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • loss4wordsloss4words Member Posts: 165 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the reply, networker.

The first day was really uneventful, unfortunately. It was pretty much just like you said. They showed me around a little bit, introduced me to people I'll be working with, got me a little caught up on the projects they're working on and what exactly they wanted from me, but that was it. I didn't really get to do anything other than hang out with other desktop support guys going around and watching them fix things. I wish I had a chance to impress them somehow but there wasn't really anything I could do or say. They all seem like really nice, easy going people though, so we'll see what happens.
  • laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    you'll probably find its like that for a week or so as you find out how they work etc....

you will be given lots of time in the future to impress dont try to do it all in the first month......
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The first two or three weeks are generally pretty slow, but it should pick up some after the first or second and they will start giving you some serious work. icon_lol.gif
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680