Options

Hired onto the geek squad. Need a breakdown.

WarlockDoTsWarlockDoTs Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Anyone here a geek squad agent? how soon do you receive raises. 10.42 is poop for an entry level tech job i was hoping for 12 :P...but oh well i guess i can suffer it out until i can get my "promotion" of becoming fulltime.

it is good experience too for after i graduate from devry :D

Comments

• Options
    Mmartin_47Mmartin_47 Member Posts: 430
    Heh I attend Devry too for online. Majoring in Network/Communications management. Have any books you want to sell me?

I applied for Geek Squad but I could not pass their personality test, I passed Firedog's though, but after the 2nd interview they lost interest all of a sudden. You do know Geek Squad is not an IT job at all really. Mostly sales like FireDog.
  • Options
    hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    Breakdown:

1. Run MRI Disc
    2. Sell new hard drive...
    3. ...
    4. Profit!
    5. Goto 1.
  • Options
    jryantechjryantech Member Posts: 623
    hypnotoad wrote:
    Breakdown:

1. Run MRI Disc
    2. Sell new hard drive...
    3. ...
    4. Profit!
    5. Goto 1.

LOL.

I'm actually surprised at the $10.42 (did you recently get a raise this is an odd number?) you are making there.

In-Store Geeksquad and Firedog jobs are not really good for experience IT wise but they can be put on a resume and that is all you need.

My suggestion would be work there until you get your DeVry degree, pick up some certifications and use your resume to get yourself a stronger entry-level job.

Good luck. And remember sell sell sell.
    "It's Microsoft versus mankind with Microsoft having only a slight lead."
    -Larry Ellison, CEO, Oracle

Studying: SCJA
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    If you want my advice, it's this: use this job as a place to waste time and as resume-filler. Start looking for a helpdesk position, or something else outside the realm of retail IT (McTech) right now. Geeksquad, like my old employer CompUSA, is pretty much only good for teaching you how to deal with lots and lots of irate customers and upsell. It'll take a while to find something better, so start looking sooner than later, and you'll have something lined up just about the time you start crawling the walls at BestBuy. If nothing else, see if they'll shell out the cash for your certs, without making you sign a contract that you'll stay there until judgement day.

Aside from the criticisms of working McTech, congratulations on the new job, in general. It's always nice to find a new opportunity, and I hope you can make the best of it to launch yourself into a great career after school is finished. :D

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    Slowhand wrote:
    If you want my advice, it's this: use this job as a place to waste time and as resume-filler. Start looking for a helpdesk position, or something else outside the realm of retail IT (McTech) right now. Geeksquad, like my old employer CompUSA, is pretty much only good for teaching you how to deal with lots and lots of irate customers and upsell. It'll take a while to find something better, so start looking sooner than later, and you'll have something lined up just about the time you start crawling the walls at BestBuy. If nothing else, see if they'll shell out the cash for your certs, without making you sign a contract that you'll stay there until judgement day.

Aside from the criticisms of working McTech, congratulations on the new job, in general. It's always nice to find a new opportunity, and I hope you can make the best of it to launch yourself into a great career after school is finished. :D

Yeah try help desk. Give that shot. Someone wants me to come in. Like I said I gave FireDog and Geek Squad a shot, but I was disappointed that majority of it is sales, not repair. Good luck though.
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    $10 is a little low for Geek Squad. I left there just shy of $15... I had a few years of sales and A+ though so that is a factor.

Geek Squad is certainly a foot in the door. The sales skills you will learn in conjunction with your IT skills are very valuable! Customer service is the majority of IT, it really is.

Remember, to take from the job the skills you need. Fix the computer, volunteer to help the onsite guys, ask for the AM shifts and make sure to take your training hours.

geeksquadforums.com was a great resource for getting the most from your job there.

get in and get out. Chances are you'll have a car in 6 months.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    Daniel333 wrote:
    $10 is a little low for Geek Squad. I left there just shy of $15... I had a few years of sales and A+ though so that is a factor.

Geek Squad is certainly a foot in the door. The sales skills you will learn in conjunction with your IT skills are very valuable! Customer service is the majority of IT, it really is.

Remember, to take from the job the skills you need. Fix the computer, volunteer to help the onsite guys, ask for the AM shifts and make sure to take your training hours.

geeksquadforums.com was a great resource for getting the most from your job there.

get in and get out. Chances are you'll have a car in 6 months.

Daniel needs to participate in my roll call thread! =)
  • Options
    oo_snoopyoo_snoopy Member Posts: 124
    Anyone here a geek squad agent? how soon do you receive raises. 10.42 is poop for an entry level tech job i was hoping for 12 :P...but oh well i guess i can suffer it out until i can get my "promotion" of becoming fulltime.

it is good experience too for after i graduate from devry :D

I got a good job with full access to one of worlds largest IP networks while still going to school at Devry. (I did do geeksquad type work before that though) /shurg.

It's all about selling yourself, keep looking.
    I used to run the internet.
  • Options
    Mmartin_47 wrote:

Link?
    -Daniel
  • Options
    Daniel333 wrote:
    Mmartin_47 wrote:

Link?

http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=37934
  • Options
    Here is what your day will look like after you get settled in.

1) Arrive at work at 6-7am depending on budget, start music
    2) Pull results from yesterday's scans left overnight
    3) Update Notes
    4) Check email for priority issues
    5) Set computers for repair
    6) Start scans/images and other hands off work
    7) Do backups that are needed
    icon_cool.gif Set stock
    9) Check www.geeksquadforms.com for new info
    10) Update the MRI disk (virus/spyware/diag cd you'll get)
    11) Post budgets and memorize them
    12) Start in on hands on issues (rebuilds etc)
    13) Call customers after lunch
    14) Give breaks to front staff checking in computers/selling
    15) Update notes
    16) Set scan to run over night
    17) hand off key issues
    1icon_cool.gif Clean up and send out an email to explain today’s accomplishments. Normally a list of completed computers, customer escalations etc.

Generally you are going to find yourself with about 8 computers out, working like a typewriter from left to right… over and over again. You’ll knock out about 12-15 issues a day on a normal day. More when you are busy.

In the Christmas season you’ll spend more time selling, and installing anti virus on new computers. On certain fun days, you will go to jobs sites and set up wireless networks and even set up small business server to help the on site guys out. Sometimes they get backed up.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If nothing else you get that awesome BestBuy discount! I was in computer sales there for the summer before I went to college. Job was alright (I was there when they just started the GeekSquad roll out), but the discount was amazing. Bad thing was I was suppose to save for college and just blew all my checks on stuff at BestBuy! As for the strange hourly rate, they always do that. When I started there I got hired at 7.42 an hour. The bad thing was they didn't have a raise system. If you become fulltime or a supervisor then you got a raise, but beyond that what you got hired at was what you stayed at. Also, I got hired at 7.42 an hour and a guy that started 6 months before was hired at 6.35. Enjoy though, you'll find that you'll see the worst in people at BestBuy. I dealt with customers who were livid over some of the dumbest things.

Just to ramble...I had a guy call the store and talk to someone at customer service (not the computer department) who told him there was one computer package (it was the cheapest one we had that week) left. He drove about an hour to get to the store and lucky me got to deal with him. When I told him we had been out of that since Sunday (sales start Sunday and this was Friday) he began yelling and cursing at me (using every curse word you could think). I asked him who he spoke to in the computer department that told him we had the package and he said he spoke with customer service. I explained he should have asked to either transfer to the computer department or just waited for the selection to come up on the automated phone system (most people tend to be lazy and just hit 0 so they get someone on the line) and we would have saved him the trip. I offered him a comparable package (not a huge price difference and it was junk like the orginal package) and he just continued to belittle me. At that point I told him he would need to find someone else to deal with and I started to help other customers. He spoke to a different sales rep and brought the package I offered. He then came up to me and said "Oh I did go with that package you suggested" and I told him "good for you".

Morale of the story....people suck, but after dealing with people buying the cheapest computers at BestBuy when you get in the field no one is ever that bad. I've done field tech work at school districts dealing with teachers (who all believe the world runs around them) and every form of administrators at schools (Principals, VP's, Board of Education members) none of them were even a 1/10th as bad as the soccermom buying the crappy laptop for her college student when there were literally 5 sent to the store. And her yelling at me even when I explain that she would be back within a couple of months because it was crap. You'll grow a hide so thick after a few months that nothing will bother you and you'll be that synic IT person we all become :) Just remember...the discount rocks!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    $10.42 is decent for an entry level retail job. Sunday's you'll be making roughly $16.

Not bad at all with no experience. If you want an entry level IT job that pays more, retail is not the way to go.[/b]
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    damn son...Best Buy??? i'm sorry to hear that...coming from someone who worked there for 6 months, you'll be ready to quit that job in no time. i worked in PC/Home Office, but i dealt with the Geek Squad pplz alot since half the time, we sent customers over to them for the installations. but yeah, look for something in the mean time. Like working for your Cable ISP.

lol @ whoever listed the 5 steps @ Geek Squad...its true too...
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    thorsthors Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    For those of you who have actually worked at the Geek Squad, how accurate is this video? Do you guys really hire people like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8Lld6tTjh8