Options

Random Questions

Jeffrey24Jeffrey24 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey all I'm taking the exam tomorrow and I have a few questions I haven't been able to find answers to, hopefully I'll be able get some of these cleared up before then.

1) I've seen on many practice exams a question regarding upgrading their existing network from 10Mbits to 100Mbits, and the question asks how should they do it if they have existing CAT 3 cable in their building, and the answer to all of them have been to upgrade to CAT 5 and use 100BaseTX. Wouldn't it be possible in that case to utilize their existing wiring to run 100BaseT4, or does that not work?

2) Everywhere I have read that a NIC operates at different layers I've heard layer 1, 2, and both so what is the "final answer." Anyone who has taken the test can you tell me, if you have seen the question, do they allow you to pick both or do they force you to choose between the two?

3) HTTP uses both TCP and UDP packets so would that make it connectionless or connection-oriented?

4) Not that this is important but is there any significance to the scale of the Net+ exam being shifted up 100 points? If the lowest you can possibly get is 100 wouldn't it be just as good to start it from 0 and go up to 800.

5) Is every question on the exam of equal value?

Thanks a lot!
Jeff

Comments

• Options
    Ten9t6Ten9t6 Member Posts: 691
    Jeffrey24 wrote:
    Hey all I'm taking the exam tomorrow and I have a few questions I haven't been able to find answers to, hopefully I'll be able get some of these cleared up before then.

1) I've seen on many practice exams a question regarding upgrading their existing network from 10Mbits to 100Mbits, and the question asks how should they do it if they have existing CAT 3 cable in their building, and the answer to all of them have been to upgrade to CAT 5 and use 100BaseTX. Wouldn't it be possible in that case to utilize their existing wiring to run 100BaseT4, or does that not work?

2) Everywhere I have read that a NIC operates at different layers I've heard layer 1, 2, and both so what is the "final answer." Anyone who has taken the test can you tell me, if you have seen the question, do they allow you to pick both or do they force you to choose between the two?

3) HTTP uses both TCP and UDP packets so would that make it connectionless or connection-oriented?

4) Not that this is important but is there any significance to the scale of the Net+ exam being shifted up 100 points? If the lowest you can possibly get is 100 wouldn't it be just as good to start it from 0 and go up to 800.

5) Is every question on the exam of equal value?

Thanks a lot!
    Jeff

Jeff..

Question 1... Cat 3 is only reliable up to 10Mbps
    http://www.fact-index.com/c/ca/category_3_cable.html

Question 2...If you are in a situation where you can only select one...go with layer 1... the nic is actually putting the bits on the wire....If you are able to select multiple....select layers 1 and 2.....It also works at layer 2 because of the MAC address or Burned in address.

Question 3....yes...it uses TCP port 80 and UDP port 80...so depending on what part of the process it is doing..it will be connection-oriented or connectionless.

Question 4 and 5.... I am not sure...

Hope this helps...
    Kenny

A+, Network+, Linux+, Security+, MCSE+I, MCSE:Security, MCDBA, CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, CCVP, CCIE Written (R/S, Voice),INFOSEC, JNCIA (M and FWV), JNCIS (M and FWV), ENA, C|EH, ACA, ACS, ACE, CTP, CISSP, SSCP, MCIWD, CIWSA
  • Options
    Jeffrey24Jeffrey24 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for clearing that up, I appreciate it.

On another note, has anyone experienced these so called "System Mess up" when you try to write your exam?

I was scheduled with Prometric to write at a local spot and on June 1 and after two hours of waiting they told me "Unfortunately our system encourted a severe error and we are unable to download the test" They told me to reshedule the test and I did, for June 3. It's now June 3, I called up before I left and their response, "our system is still messed up and we can't have you write it, you should reschedule it with another centre." But apparently it's just a problem with the Network+ test because they said someone else was able to write a different exam there later on June 1.

My question, has anyone had problems similar to this? I tried to understand exactly how their system "messed up" but they weren't able to clarify what they meant. So far I'm not impressed with Prometric or that testing centre, I wounder if VUE is any better?
  • Options
    Ten9t6Ten9t6 Member Posts: 691
    Jeffrey24 wrote:
    Thanks for clearing that up, I appreciate it.

On another note, has anyone experienced these so called "System Mess up" when you try to write your exam?

I was scheduled with Prometric to write at a local spot and on June 1 and after two hours of waiting they told me "Unfortunately our system encourted a severe error and we are unable to download the test" They told me to reshedule the test and I did, for June 3. It's now June 3, I called up before I left and their response, "our system is still messed up and we can't have you write it, you should reschedule it with another centre." But apparently it's just a problem with the Network+ test because they said someone else was able to write a different exam there later on June 1.

My question, has anyone had problems similar to this? I tried to understand exactly how their system "messed up" but they weren't able to clarify what they meant. So far I'm not impressed with Prometric or that testing centre, I wounder if VUE is any better?

Most of my exams have been through VUE...I have had one problem when taking a test at a Prometric center....it was on the upload of my score report. I had just finished my last exam for my MCDBA....and the power went out a few minutes after I ended the test. Good thing I was able to get a score report...because i had to fax it the Microsoft like 3 times......The only problems that I have had taking exams at VUE centers...was the speed of the simulators in Cisco exams....They were very slow because of an antivirus setting on the pc.

Good luck on getting the exam scheduled..
    Kenny

A+, Network+, Linux+, Security+, MCSE+I, MCSE:Security, MCDBA, CCNP, CCDP, CCSP, CCVP, CCIE Written (R/S, Voice),INFOSEC, JNCIA (M and FWV), JNCIS (M and FWV), ENA, C|EH, ACA, ACS, ACE, CTP, CISSP, SSCP, MCIWD, CIWSA