Options

70-526 or 70-528 for a noob?

I'm currently working through the 70-536 book (more like struggling). Since I am new to C#, would 70-526 be the best choice after 70-536 and then move on to 70-528 after that? Would learning windows forms help to transition to web forms? Those that have taken both, what do you recommend?

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I don't think learning windows forms is going to help you with web forms. There's some overlap, so whatever you learn first will help with whatever you learn second, but I wouldn't consider one to be a prerequisite to the other.

What book are you using? You might want to use one of the Wrox books or learnvisualstudio.net to get up to speed on the language before going through an exam-specific book. Those (at least the ones I've seen) suck for learning the language itself.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    Best to start with desktop apps and when you get the hang of C# go on to Web apps if you like. The desktop WinForms are easier because you don't seed to think any networking and client/server details. And yes, the stuff you learn about WinForms will carry over to WebForms and via versa. Only the types of form controls will change.
  • Options
    jbrown414jbrown414 Member Posts: 230
    Thanks for your input guys. I probably will go with windows applications first to better learn C#.

I'm using Murach's C# 2005 right now. When the time comes to step up to web applications, they offer an book as well.

I'm going to look into the Wrox books as well, seeing how they offer a beginners and professionals version of C#.
  • Options
    The best way to learn any programming language is by writing code. Pick small projects that you can complete and build upon to make larger projects. Nothing big or practical is needed just to learn the language and framework. Also try and write some small projects that demonstrate each objective in the MCTS exam you are studying for. You'll remember the material better writing it in VS.NET than just reading it from a book.
  • Options
    jbrown414jbrown414 Member Posts: 230
    I agree with you completely. I try to right every bit of code from the book that i can just to familiarize myself with syntax and analyze it so I understand what it is doing.

The problem with coming up with projects on my own is I don't know where to start.
  • Options
    The learning apps don't need to do anything practical; they're just to get you familiar with C# constructs and framework calls and how the are and aren't used. You might also have a read-through of the C# Language Specification and see what new stuff you can pick up.
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I am attempting to get into SharePoint development and have started learning C#, would the skills measured in the 70-536 in any way help me in this respect? I enjoy learning new technologies by getting certified and if this would be of any value to me I would condsider studying for it.
  • Options
    Yes, 70-536 tests your understanding of the .NET 2.0 Framework, and you certainly need that knowledge to use C# and any other .NET languages. You must also have a good working knowledge of the C# (or VB.NET) language itself.