Options

Network Monitoring/QOS

Mr.PingMr.Ping Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi guys,

Just reading up on QOS and am wondering, What is the best tool for detecting which interfaces are congested? How can you tell the router doesn't have any more buffer space?Are there any cisco commands that do these tasks (ie detect congested interfaces and lack of buffer space)?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
You were born to lead but have to become a leader just like you were born male but have to become a man-Myles Munroe.

Comments

• Options
    redwarriorredwarrior Member Posts: 285
    You can use pretty much any SNMP-based tool out there to determine bandwidth utilization on an interface. I like to use solarwinds tools simply because that's what we have at work, but there are other freeware/shareware tools like Cacti that can be useful. Netflow-based tools are great for determining what traffic is causing congestion and again, here too, I default to solarwinds simply because that's what I'm familiar with, but I'm certain there are other options.

CCNP Progress

ONT, ISCW, BCMSN - DONE

BSCI - In Progress

http://www.redwarriornet.com/ <--My Cisco Blog
  • Options
    Met44Met44 Member Posts: 194
    Mr.Ping,

There are a few IOS commands to view some limited congestion information. Included in the output of the show interface command is some basic information about the output queue of each interface, such as current output queue size, the maximum size, and the number of dropped packets since the last clearing of counters, in the case of fair queuing. Depending on your queuing strategy, other information may be shown.

Redwarrior has some good advice if you want to get into more meaningful traffic analysis.