how to create a network topology using packet tracer?

usr11usr11 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
hi all,
i'm novice in packet tracer. how to set up a network topology i.e. setting ip address,subnet mask etc properly? please help me and if anyone has any sample packet tracer network's file, please send it.

Comments

• miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    The program is easy enough to use.
    Launch the program.
    on the bottom left choose the device type you want in your topology (switch, router, etc)
    in the box to the right select the specifc model
    click in the design box and it places the selected device in the main box
    double click the device and you have tabs to add hardware to router etc, or select CLI to configure.
    To add cards to a router it must be turned off, click the power button on the device to turn on or off.
    to connect two devices click the lightning bolt, which is the cable icon.
    select the type of connection from the box to the right (console, x-over utp, serial, etc)
    once you have selected the cable type click the device and it will ask you which port on the device do you want to connect the selected cable type to?

Pretty easy to use.
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
  • tech-airmantech-airman Member Posts: 953
    usr11 wrote:
    hi all,
    i'm novice in packet tracer. how to set up a network topology i.e. setting ip address,subnet mask etc properly? please help me and if anyone has any sample packet tracer network's file, please send it.

usr11,

Which Cisco Networking Academy course are you currently enrolled in?
  • lovena_bunlovena_bun Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi i have a question to do and the question is as follows but am a bit a beginner in this field can you please help me out, thanks.

You are required to design a medium size network consisting of at least fourbackbones. One of these backbones should be restricted fully to a small group of
    staffs for e.g. those in the finance department.
    You should have several scenario in your design to show security issues (e.g. Access
    Control Lists -ACL) as well as performance issues for e.g. by using different devices,
    or media.
    The network diagram should shows devices like routers, switches, circuits, and the
    servers/workstations at each site. You should plan to have server for different
    functions , e.g. web servers, files servers or print servers.
    Use appropriate IP addressing scheme to assign IP addresses to the appropriate
    interfaces on all routers and computers in the internetwork.
    Use static addressing on all PCs and servers in the network.
    The team leader asks the technician to write down a short summary of the purpose of
    each ACL, the interfaces upon which they will be applied, and the direction of the
    ACL, i.e. inbound or outbound. He then needs to list the exact commands that will be
    used to create and apply the ACLs to the router interfaces.
  • Ltat42aLtat42a Member Posts: 587 ■■■□□□□□□□
    This guy here does pretty much his whole CCNA course in Packet Tracer. You can also find a bunch of useful tips & tricks on YouTube. DansCourses - YouTube

As for PT Labs, check out this thread -

http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/28660-ccna-ccent-home-lab-ideas.html

hth
  • Ltat42aLtat42a Member Posts: 587 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Found this on YouTube - beginners tips on using Packet Tracer -

Packet Tracer - YouTube