Question about Virtual PC

Mmartin_47Mmartin_47 Member Posts: 430
Hey all, well one of my phyiscal servers has a bad SCSI controller on it.

Anyways I want to use Virtual PC for my Vista client (to join to domain) and run a second exchange server using server 2003 in a Virtual PC as well. Now my question is in the settings, should each virtual pc have a different network card selected? Right now my setup is this:

MarVell Yukon Gigabit Adapter 1- 192.168.1.x network (nothing to do with lab)- This is an actual physical PC running Vista Ultimate

MarVell Yukon Gigabit Adapter 2- 172.16.0.x network (running Vista as a Virtual PC). Can this adapter also be used to run Server 2003 on? Or will this cause conflicts. Meaning I need to install a new physical adapter?

Comments

• Mmartin_47Mmartin_47 Member Posts: 430
    Oh and I do have an actual physical exchange server running downstairs. I connect via remote desktop.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,078 Admin
    When you say "SCSI controller," do you mean the SCSI controller board on one of your SCSI hard drives, or the SCSI host adapter card plugged into your mother board? Either way, using a virtualization product, like VMWare, VirtualBox, or Microsoft Virtual PC, can't fix bad hardware. The "controller" will still be needed by the virtual environment to access the physical hard drive and other SCSI devices. You always need properly working hardware in order to assure that the operation of your software will be stable and correct.
  • Mmartin_47Mmartin_47 Member Posts: 430
    JDMurray wrote:
    When you say "SCSI controller," do you mean the SCSI controller board on one of your SCSI hard drives, or the SCSI host adapter card plugged into your mother board? Either way, using a virtualization product, like VMWare, VirtualBox, or Microsoft Virtual PC, can't fix bad hardware. The "controller" will still be needed by the virtual environment to access the physical hard drive and other SCSI devices. You always need properly working hardware in order to assure that the operation of your software will be stable and correct.

Oh I meant I usually use physical servers but the SCSI controller went bad. Just wondering since I have 1 physical exchange server running downstairs.

Question is im running virtual pc and currently having vista running and another server 2003. Can they use the same network card or no?