Food recipies

nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
Well possibly a first for a food recipies on TE? i wonder how well it goes down?icon_lol.gif.... i'll also be interested to see people's tastes etc

Im just wondering if you guys and gals would like to recommend any good food recipie websites as im getting bored of eating the same type of food i cook?...i just need a change or a few idea's.

Now im not talking about food that is done in the microwave or out of a packet. im talkin about food that is made from scratch with its (or most of) natural ingredients.

Im open to all suggestions - meat, fish, pasta's etc etc.food from any country aslong as it tastes good :D

So lets have those suggestions....
Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
WIP: Msc advanced networking

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Get this book: http://www.amazon.com/How-Cook-Everything-Simple-Recipes/dp/0764578650/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1223314391&sr=8-2 (this is the updated one that's out in a couple of weeks; the one with the yellow cover is the current one). That is an amazing book. Do you have Williams Sonoma over there? They have a lot of great cookbooks. I also subscribe to Chili Pepper magazine. I love spicy food!

I don't really use any recipe websites. I'll just google <whatever I want> recipe, and that seems to do what I need. www.food.com has a decent selection though.
  • SilentsoulSilentsoul Member Posts: 260
    First thing i cooked when i got out on my own.

http://www.bigoven.com/26962-Baked-Cavatelli-recipe.html

You can change it up use different pasta, sauce and spice sausage. I like the Johnsonville stuff.
  • learningtofly22learningtofly22 Member Posts: 159
    I just made this up one day screwing around, my buddies now request it as it came out pretty good. Best part is that it's really easy and you can adjust it w/out messing it up. It's not quite stew, not quite soup:

Brian's almost-famous Stewp

1 shoe- sized roast (chuck or rump, doesn't matter)
    A few splashes of olive oil
    4 cans of different beans of your choice ( I usually use kidney, great northern, pinto, and black)
    1 tall can of corn
    1/2 white onion, chopped
    3-4 cloves garlic, chopped
    2-3 bay leaves
    baby carrots (optional)
    Beef broth
    Salt to taste

Brown a roast in a skillet (cast iron dutch oven is best but not necessary), get it nice and brown/black all the way around. This will smoke up your house, so open windows or do it outside.

Once it's nice and brown, put the roast in a crock pot, or leave it in the pot you browned it in if big enough.

**** everything else except the broth in, using some of the juice from the beans as well.

Add beef broth (if you need to) to give it a semi soupy consistency. Let it boil/simmer for about 6 hours, stirring/flipping the roast occassionally. Taste occasionally and add salt as desired. The meat will fall apart and make a..... um..... stewp!
  • Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    !

Sounds good, I love Crock Pot recipes, I'll give this one a try.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Breakfast Burrito

Ingredients:
    Jalapeno-cheddar tortilla
    Ground sausage
    1 or 2 eggs
    Black beans
    Green pepper
    Tomato
    Jalapeno
    Onion
    Heavy whipping cream
    Sour cream
    Jasmine rice
    4-cheese Mexican blend
    Cilantro
    Ground cumin
    Garlic
    Chili Oil
    Salt
    Pepper
    Chipotle pepper
    Cayenne pepper

Directions:
    You're going to have to start on the rice early. You're using good rice, not instant rice.

Cook sausage and mash it to bits. You can dice patties/links if that's all you have

Saute tomato, jalapeno, onion, green pepper, garlic and cilantro in chili oil.

Beat eggs with a splash of heavy whipping cream (makes them fluffy) and season to taste with salt, pepper, chipotle, cayenne, and ground cumin.

Add sausage, black beans, and rice to veggies and pour in the eggs.

Heat the tortilla for about 20 seconds in the microwave, add all the goodies from the pan and top with sour cream and cheese. Fold in two edges of the tortilla, roll, and then make a diagonal cut in the middle and prepare to start your day like a champion!

The biggest challenge is getting all of that to fit in your tortilla! I mix everything together, but you can add the rice, beans, etc. separately. It's all rolled up and tastes the same, so I just throw it all together. If you're in a hurry, you can substitute salsa for all the veggies and ranch dressing can be used instead of sour cream. If you want to kick it up a notch, get a nice bottle of some Asian chili sauce and put a nice big squeeze into your eggs. Mmmmm...

This is a TE exclusive recipe icon_cool.gif
  • LarryDaManLarryDaMan Member Posts: 797
    !

Sounds good, I love Crock Pot recipes, I'll give this one a try.

+1 for Crock Pots.

I do pot roast, spaghetti sauce, and chili in a Crock Pot.

My thing lately is stuffed peppers

Ingredients can vary:

Hollow out large green peppers.
    Mix rice of choice, seasoning, cooked meat or chicken, cheese.
    Boil peppers for 10 min.
    Drain and pat dry the peppers.
    Stuff the peppers until they are full and really packed
    Sprinkle bread crumbs or cheese or both on top (optional)
    Cook at 350 for 30 min

I have tried it with white rice, and with broccoli and cheese rice. With chicken and with ground beef. With tomatoes. You can't go wrong with the ingredients.

Maybe there is a fancier way to do it. I kinda made it up and tried different things as I went, but they are good.
  • KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    Pie pastry recipe. Not from a book but tried and tested.

Bottom of this entry

http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=263293#263293

For pudding type pies, (apple, etc) just add 3-4oz caster sugar before mixing.
    Kam.
  • shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    I have a home made chili thats kinda is a spin off of my dads soup he makes...

I use a crock pot for this and usually cook between 4-6 hours depending on the time I have and temp I use.

I put in it the following:

Low sodium vegetable stock
    Organic 15 bean mixture
    Chopped mushrooms
    Chopped green/red/yellow peppers
    Bag of mixed veggies (carrots, corn, asparagus, and can't remember the others at the moment)
    Browned lean ground turkey
    The best ingredient home grown banana peppers cooked in virgin olive oil given to me form my dad's friend who has a farm

If you like spicy food this would be a delicious treat for you, I usually make a batch each week if I have the time and it lasts me for 5-6 meals a week. Saves some money for me since I don't have to go out for lunch! :D
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    mmmm, im hungry now!

i think i may take a try at some of these. Some of them sound right up my street! :D

• tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Easy cottage pie

800g ground beef/lamb
    8 peeled potatoes
    1 cup sliced mushrooms
    1 cup peas
    1 cup chopped carrot
    1 cup chopped onion
    4 tablespoons butter
    1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
    2 tablespoons tomato puree
    1/2 cup double cream
    1/2 cup grated cheese
    beef stock

1. Brown meat and onions.
    2. Mix beef, carrots, onions, peas, mushrooms, tomato puree, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper.
    3. Cook over a low heat for 20 minutes. Adding beef stock as you cook it.
    4. Boil potatoes and mash together with cream and butter.
    5. Put meat into the bottom of a casserole dish and top with the mashed potatoes.
    6. Sprinkle cheese over potatoes.
    7. Cook at 180C for 40 minutes.

Quantities of the various ingredients are fairly variable anyway so you can mix and match whatever you want. Add some chilli peppers or sauce if you want it to be spicy.

Its not a particularly traditional cottage pie but its close enough.
  • RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Dang nabbit .......... y'all got me thinking of food creation once more - and I haven't done that since I retired from the kitchens

OK - here's a couple nice and easy ones. You will have to excuse the volumes - some things I am used to making by 20 litre volumes icon_lol.gif

The dressing
    300 ml olive oil
    100 ml red wine vinegar
    1 tablespoon chopped garlic
    1 dessertspoon french mustard
    1/3 cup honey
    1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
    sea salt & milled pepper to taste

The meat (to serve 4 people)
    Trim the silver off 8 lamb fillets and marinate in oil with 1 tsp coarse grated ginger, 3 garlic cloves, 1 stem rosemary and 2 kaffir lime leavers for at least 24 hours.
    Grill on hot barbecue to medium rare / medium and slice diagonally in strips about 5cm wide

The Salad
    In a large bowl place 400gm mesculin lettuce or similar.
    Toss with
    1 sm tin drained mandarin segments
    1/2 green capsicum - sliced
    1 small red onion - sliced
    50gm salted cashews - tossed in a dry omlette pan for 30 seconds / minute to warm through and slightly color

Add warm lamb and toss gently once more

Place on flat plate to serve and sprinkle with a small handful alfalfa sprouts and drizzle with the dressing.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
    Rustys Snapper Mexicanacan be pre-prepared at a pinch.

Rub 4 snapper fillets with olive oil and sear on a barbecue or in a pan wiped with oil.

On baking sheet greased with olive oil place 4 rows of Jalapeno peppers and then lay the fish on top of each row and cover with a dessertspoon of tomato salsa (preferably home-made).
    Sprinkle with grated cheese - perferably Monterray Jack, but can be a blend of cheddar, gruyere and mozzarella.
    Grill in Salamander

Server with a dollop of sour cream on top with a mixed lettuce side salad and a stuffed baked jacket potato.

Stuffed Baked Jacket Potato
    Bake 2 softball sized potatos until cooked.
    Cut in half and scoop out inside and mash with ...
    1/2 cup sour cream
    1 cup mashed pumpkin
    1 dessert spoon pinenuts
    salt & papper to taste.
    Bake in hot oven for about 10/15 minutes
    www.supercross.com
  • moss12moss12 Banned Posts: 220 ■■□□□□□□□□
    two bread with cheese including sliced green chilli , placed in sandwichmaker , easy meal
    Russ - im impressed with your cooking skills :D Seems like your a dark horse!

• GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    2 thinks I make often (like almost every week)

Dirty rice:

Cook up 1lb of ground turkey in a wok. Also cook up a few cups of brown or whatever rice you like. Add them together. Throw in everything you can find in your cripser. Carrots, celery, green beans, brocoli, snow peas, spouts, whatever you like, the more the better. Kind of like a stir fry. Then add some soy sauce and cook on high for a few mins and serve. Great for left overs.

Belgium stew:

Fell in love with this in Belgium, and cant get enough of it

Brown some stew beef in butter and oil. Remove meat, pour in 2-4 bottles of dark belgium beer. I prefer Chimey, or Rochfort Trappist, but it depends what you can get. Cook this on medium for 10mins while stirring. reduce heat, add meat back in, add in your favourite stew vegtables, and simmer for 2-4hrs. Makes the house smell so good, and again, makes great left overs if there is any :D
    Not a dark horse - an ex chef that has catered for 1 .............. up to 10,000
    www.supercross.com
    RussS wrote:
    Not a dark horse - an ex chef that has catered for 1 .............. up to 10,000

Jeez man, u feeding an army? icon_lol.gif

• PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Wow some nice recipes that I will have to try.

So quick and tastes nice -

Pash's Homemade Mac and cheese (serves 4):-

butter
    Mustard (preferably english mustard)
    milk
    tiny amount of plain flour
    extra mature cheese (1 block) grated
    macaroni
    breadcrumbs

Start cooking your macaroni for around 13/14 mins

heat some butter in a saucepan on a medium heat until it melts fully. Add around 350/375 ml milk and some salt a peper for taste, add in a very tiny amount of flour to add thickness to the sauce. Add in 2/3 teaspoons of mustard and keep stiring for 1/2 mins. Then leave for 5 minutes on the hob (some people say you shouldnt leave sauce ever, but you can with thsi one). When you come back it will be nice a thick, keep stiring it now to keep the consistency. Add in 3 quaters of your block of grated cheeseand stir around, the sauce should be like runny mash in consistency and you can now turn the heat off.

Drain your cooked macaroni and put in a oven proof dish. Pour and mix in your cheese sauce with the macaroni. Use the rest of your grated cheese ontop and add some grated breadcrumbs to make the top crispy. Bake for about 15 mins on 200c
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
    Nah - big sports events and festivals. One gig I used to feed between 600 & 1600 per week at a dinner & show.
    www.supercross.com